"After high school, I kind of just put my all into studying and passing college that I lost touch with a lot of my friends." He shrugged, "But I just see it as an opportunity to move forward and make new ones." That was one thing I really liked about Riley: he was always so optimistic. "Anyway, what does your family think of the move? Don't they miss you?" 

This was the question I had been waiting for all night. 

"Um, no." I shook my head, a lump forming in my throat. "They died a year and a half ago." Riley paled, quickly taking my hand in his and giving it a gentle squeeze. 

"Damn it, I'm so sorry. I didn't know-"

"You couldn't have, it's okay." I smiled reassuringly, pushing back the tears that wanted to pour out of my eyelids. "But I'd like to think they miss me." Riley's embarrassed expression turned to one of sympathy, his thumb running over the lines on my palm. 

"I'm sure they do." 

He quickly changed the subject to my favorite food and I was thankful, finally letting go of the breath I had been holding. At the end of our meal, the waiter that had been assigned to our table handed over the check to Riley.

"Thank you, Colin." He opened the fold and took out the receipt, signing the small piece of paper before handing it back to the waiter. 

"Will there be anything else, Sir?" Colin asked Riley, but he shook his head. 

"No, but please tell my parents to order more of the Littorai Thieriot Vineyard Chardonnay." The waiter nodded and walked back to the kitchen, but my jaw had hit the hardwood floor. 

"Your family owns this place?" I whispered in disbelief. Riley chuckled and nodded, standing before helping me out of my own chair. 

"It doesn't take much to impress you, Jane." He said, amused at my reaction.

"Says the guy whose family owns a restaurant that has chains all over the world." I smacked his arm playfully and he opened my car door, helping me inside. The ride back to my house was short, but nonetheless lively as Riley told stories of his parent's rise to success. When we pulled up to my house, Riley walked me to my door. 

This was the tough part: to kiss or not to kiss?

The blonde man in front of me lifted his hand and gently trailed his thumb along my cheekbone and my eyelids fluttered shut. 

Yes, please kiss me. 

Taking the hint, Riley slowly leaned in and pressed his soft lips to my own. His fingers cupped my cheek while his teeth softly grazed my lower lip. Parting my lips, I waited eagerly for more before a loud bang interrupted the moment. Riley and I both turned to watch my neighbor exit his home and lean against the railing of his patio, his eyes on us but somehow his demeanor seemed hostile. His hands were balled into fists, eyebrows furrowed, and muscles constricting under his tight plain white v-neck tee.

"I guess that's my cue." Riley laughed awkwardly, letting his back face the cop that lived next door to me. I smiled apologetically and kissed his cheek. 

"I had a really nice time tonight." I whispered, my hand now on the front door's knob. Riley's face lit up at my words and he nodded. 

"Me too, I'll call you later." He leaned forward and pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead. "Goodnight." 

"Goodnight." I waved as he got back into his car and drove off. I leaned dreamily against my front door, my fingertips brushing across my lips in remembrance of Riley's kiss. But then I remembered the perv who sat on his patio, still watching me. I quickly pulled out my keys, fumbling to find the right one before he spoke. 

"You know, Princesa," He leaped from his patio and pulled himself onto my front porch. My heart jumped into my throat, my palms becoming slick with sweat. His arm were now on either sides of me, trapping me between them as he looked down at me with his emerald gaze. "I have a feeling you've been avoiding me." 

"I have." I shot back, my embarrassment taking a turn into anger for having ruined my first kiss with Riley. 

"Why is that?" He questioned, his lips now just milometers from mine. 

Fucking kiss me. I thought at him. No, Jane, stop it!

"Stop it, Dax." I wouldn't meet his eyes, I couldn't. His hot breath trailed up my neck, his soft lips ghosting over the exposed flesh. He chuckled when my back arched involuntarily, my cheeks flaring hot and pink.

"It's Officer Rivera, to you." His deep voice rasped quietly in my ear. "Besides, you don't want me to stop, Princesa."

"If you don't stop, I'll-"

"You'll what?" He interrupted, smirking against my jawline. "Call the police?" 

I gasped softly and ducked under his arms, quickly unlocking my door and slipping inside. Leaving the sexually charged officer on my doorstep, I leaned against the door and slowly slid down. 

What the hell is going on?