Chapter Eight

"Hello, my name is Rey, I'll be your waitress for this evening. Can I start you off with some drinks?" She asked. Mae and Cooper sat at their table, examining their menus for something to drink. Mae was about to order a soda water with lime but, again, Cooper interrupted her.

"Can we have a bottle of wine please?" Cooper asked. The waitress asked for their IDs, Cooper took his fake one out and motioned for Mae to do the same. She paused for a moment but when he glared at her she sighed and took out the ID he gave her. The waitress looked at the cards and didn't seem to notice the falsities, saying she'd be right back with their wine.

"You're insane! Do you even realize that this is against the law?!" She scolded, but in a whisper. Cooper could do nothing now but laugh.

"Would you relax? It's a bottle of wine not cocaine." He replied. She rolled her eyes and didn't say anything else. The waitress came back for their drinks and asked them what they wanted to eat.

"I'll have the chicken Parmesan, please. Thanks." Mae asked. The waitress wrote it on her notebook while Cooper decided what he would have to eat.

"I'll take a slam of the baby-back ribs, extra barbecue sauce, and I would also like a side of fries with that. To finish that off I'll have the garlic bread as a side dish as well." Cooper ordered. Mae widened her eyes at what he had ordered. Did he really have the power to eat all that? She thought, but then she realized that she was talking about Cooper here, Cooper Hardy could eat a whole restaurant in five seconds and not even stir.

"Are you really going to eat all of that?" She asked. Cooper took a drink and smirked.

"Why wouldn't I?" He asked. She shrugged, signalling for him to never mind it. They were silent for a while. Cooper wanted to talk, and so did Mae. One thing that they shared was that they hated clumsy silences among a group or two people. They would both steal quick glances into each other's eyes as they sipped their wine and looked around the restaurant for something to talk about. Cooper looked over at a table with two people sitting with each other. The woman looked a little nervous and the man looked like he was just trying to have fun.

"Hey, what do you think the story is with them?" Cooper asked. Mae glanced over at the two that were talking at the table. She thought and examined the expressions of the other people.

"The woman needs to tell him something. I don't know what it is but it's something that's making her nervous. She may have lost her job or...oh! She's pregnant. That's what it is." She said. He looked back at the woman and wondered where she had gotten that from.

"What makes you think that?" He asked. They stopped talking while the waitress brought them their food. Mae watched as she brought Cooper's food to the table. There was so much of it and it nearly took up half the table. Still, after the food was given to them, she continued to talk.

"She isn't drinking. He is. And you can tell that he is clearly trying to get her to have at least one drink but she is refusing it. She wants to tell him but she isn't sure about it. Not to mention he seems like a bit of a loser. Maybe she works while he stays at home. Or something like that." She explained. Cooper saw her point.

"I can see that happening, very observant. Lets test your luck. What about them?" Cooper asked. She looked at another couple in the room. The man was considerably younger than the woman, or at least that's what you could see. Mae studied them a little to see what was up.

"She's rich, and he is dating her because of it. Sure, she's pretty, but he's bored with her. She's at least twice his age and you can tell he gets frustrated when they plan on having sex and she falls asleep on an armchair." She said and they both started to laugh. After that they ate while laughing and talking about lots of different things. Mae laughed hard when Cooper tried to seductively eat a sauced up rib, but to no avail. He even tried rolling his eyes back. After that, they talked for hours while they ate and drank. She told him that her favourite song was Better Together by Jack Johnson and that her favourite movie was Requiem for a Dream. He told her that his favourite colour was blue and he had always wanted to own a Mustang but knew he never would, apparently he wasn't brave enough to willingly look like an asshole. Mae just laughed when he said this and told him she could see him in a Mustang.