02.

"I SHOULD BE ASKING YOU TWO THE SAME THING," SHE TOLD THEM, sending an accusatory look towards Remus.

"Look, Nott, we—"

"Lupin," Callista interrupted him, "I won't say anything if you won't."

Remus looked slightly relieved but kept glancing back at the two animals he and Peter were interacting with earlier anxiously.

Peering out onto the grounds from where she stood, the young Nott made out the figures of a few boys making their way down.

"You were bringing friends?" Peter asked, a frantic look in his eyes as he attempted to motion something to Remus.

She made a face and turned to look back at them. "Not exactly. I may or may not have come here to spy on their meeting, but now that there's so many of us, we should go."

"G-go?" stuttered Lupin.

Callista nodded. "It's the sixths and seventh years. You know how bad they are. If we get caught, we're all in trouble."

Peter tried making an excuse to stay. "I thought you wanted to spy on them. All this effort would be for nothing if you just left."

Callista frowned. "The risk of getting caught is much worse. Besides, I don't think I'm ready to actually see what I came for."

She looked between the two boys and raised an eyebrow. "Why do you guys look so suspicious?" Tilting her head to the direction of the two animals, she questioned, "What's so special about them that you don't want to leave?"

"Nothing," Peter answered immediately, causing both the stag and dog to step back as if offended.

"I think you've hurt their feelings," she pointed out.

The group of Slytherins seemed to be getting larger and they appeared to have begun making their way into the forest, causing Callista to scowl.

"We can't get out now," she whispered to Peter and Remus, both of whom stood dangerously silent behind her. "Even if we use a disillusionment charm, they're too close, so they'll hear us if we make the slightest of noises. I suppose the only other way I can think of is if you wanted me to turn you both into insects, that wa—"

"That's awfully mean of you," Peter told her quietly.

"It's awfully effective," she clarified. "I can see why you're not willing to go through with it, though."

While Callista was preoccupied with watching out for the older students, Remus and Peter tried their best to silently tell the stag and dog to get out of there, or else they'd be stuck until morning.

"I wonder what they're talking about," Remus mused, trying to get a better view of the group of Slytherins.

"You really don't," Callista stated, focusing her eyes on everything but the faces of the people there.

"I thought you wanted to spy on them. Isn't it because you're curious?"

"A tale for another time, Pettigrew. Right now, we've got to get back to the castle. The coast is clear."

The three fourth years were all crouched down, scurrying along as quickly as they could before they were caught sight of by anyone else. When they made it back to entrance hall, they found themselves each letting out a breath of relief.