Secrets Revealed

You're sitting on the floor of your mom's bedroom listening to every word she has to say.

Mom: Your father wasn't always the most loyal man. He wasn't always the best husband. And he wasn't even the best father at times. He did some things, some pretty bad things.

She pauses for a few seconds.

Mom: He had an affair with one of his coworkers about 17 years ago.

You: Wait, I'm 17.

Your mom looks at you with tears in her eyes.

Mom: The doctors said I would never be able to have a baby. We tried so many things, but it just never worked.

Your mom starts to cry a little.

You: Wait..so...

Mom: The woman your father had an affair with ended up pregnant. I was so angry when I found out. Your father told me he was sorry and he would never do it again. I didn't know what to. I didn't know what I would do if I lost him. So we decided to keep the baby and take over full custody of it. We promise to stay quiet about it and keep the past in the past.

You start to tear up a little bit.

Mom: It was a beautiful baby girl. I fell right in love with you the moment I saw you in the hospital.

You: So, you're not actually my biological mother?

Mom: I will always be your mom, honey.

You: Why did you decide to keep quiet about it? You didn't think I deserve to know who I really am and what really happened?

Mom: It was just easier that way. We didn't want to focus on the past and be reminded of it so much.

You: So what? I am just a reminder of the hard past you and Dad had???!

Mom: That's NOT what I said. Please try to understand that I love you and I never wanted to hurt you.

You: All I understand is I've been lied to my whole life. Mom, I am so glad you're my mom don't get me wrong. But don't you think I deserve to know where I came from and who dad really was and who my family really was? Why you and Dad always fight. Do you always fight because of me?

Your mom stays quiet.

You: That's what I thought. Why don't I make life easier on you and just leave?

You storm out of her room and run downstairs into the basement. You call Grayson but he doesn't pick up. You call him a few more times but he still won't pick up. You decide to call up Lexie.

Lexie:
Hello?
You:
Hey. What are you doing? I need to get out of this house now.
Lexie:
I'm chilling with a few friends. Why don't you come hang with us?
You:
Okay. Text me the address. I'll take my aunt's car.

You grab your aunt Gigi's car keys and start to walk out the door. Aunt Gigi steps in front of you.

Aunt Gigi: Are you sure that is such a good idea?

You: Is it as bad of an idea as lying to me for 17 years?

Aunt Gigi: So she told you?

You: Yes. Please, just let me go. I need some time and space to think things through right now.

Aunt Gigi: Fine. Please be safe, okay?

You: I will...

Aunt Gigi moves and let's you walk out the door. You walk out and get into the car and drive to Lexie. Once you get there, Lexie comes out to greet you. She seems super out of it and loopy.