He needs to know. He needs to know. He needs to know. I kept repeating that to myself, but it did no good. I wasn't brave enough to tell him the secret that could ruin us, and I hated life for putting me in this position.

I snatched my phone from its charger and speed dialed my friend. I figured only he would know exactly what to tell me in a crisis such as this. I pressed my phone to my ear, letting it ring until I finally got an answer.

"Hello?"

"I need a glitter-vention," I pleaded.

"Ooh, girl, hit me."

"I'm wracked with guilt and dread, Lucas!"

"Ugh. Boo! You still haven't told him? Cas, you have to."

"Don't you think I know that? How do I drop something like this on him?" I whisper-yelled.

"Okay, I need details. What're you two doing right now?"

I swallowed, my blue eyes darting around my room. "We're at my house. We leave tomorrow, but... look, today, we're digging up this time capsule thing that I buried a couple years ago."

"And what's inside?"

"Love letters and poems that I wrote to my future love when I was a lonely, pathetic teenager riddled with unattainable hopes and dreams. It includes a teddy bear and a necklace."

Lucas sucked in a long breath then took a moment of silence. "Yeah, you're doomed."

"Lucas! Help me!" I whined.

"When you do romantic things with him like this, it may all look like a lie when he does find out. Which, eventually, he will. It's like Judas giving Jesus the kiss of betrayal."

"That... doesn't make me feel any better. Worse, actually; it makes me feel worse."

"Sorry."

"No, I deserve to feel like this. He was supposed to be the first person to know."

"You don't deserve to feel bad, Casper. This fiance of his or whoever is the one putting you in such a complicated spot. I feel like he knew you wouldn't tell David, and that gives him an edge. It makes you look bad, like you're a liar. I'm sure he knows exactly what he's doing."

"Rowan said he had to make sure it was safe," I quietly said, looking toward the space under the door to make sure there were no feet standing behind it. "I think that's why he hasn't been back."

"Please. It doesn't take two months to make sure 'it's safe,' whatever that means. If you ask me, I think he's waiting for the perfect moment to strike."

"But... that could be any day, any moment."

"A greater reason why you should just tell David. If you're not gonna tell him, then you have to find out what day Rowan's gonna show up. Because trust me, I'm a genius; it takes one to know one. He's totally calculating all of this."

"And I thought I was being paranoid."

Lucas scoffed over the line. "This isn't paranoia. It's smart and devious. Omg, you're literally living the life of a Pretty Little Liar. Can we switch bodies?"

I buried my face in my hand, a feeling of helplessness washing over me. "Good talk, Lucas," I mumbled sarcastically. "Enough about my problems. What's up with you? Still chickening out of meeting your blast from the past?"

He huffed. "My meeting with Lucien again is a sacred event that cannot be rushed. My heart is still so fragile and delicate."

"Uh huh, okay. Knowing you, you're going to pounce on him as soon as you land eyes on each other."