What Happens After the Story?

Most people don't enjoy spending time in libraries, but Emily does. She loves to look through all the old documents and manuscripts. History is her favorite thing to read about. Her latest interest was a story set about fifty years ago in Rome. Rome had always fascinated her because of all the old buildings and the beautiful architecture there. This particular story interested her more that any others had for a while. It was history, but there was a sense of mystery surrounding it. She sat in the old, dimly lit library for almost two hours reading and studying this story. After completing reading the story she decided that she wanted to solve this mystery, but had no idea how she was going to do that since she lives in London. "Oh well, I'll figure it out later," she whispered to herself as she walked out of the library, story still in hand.

There was a cool evening breeze as she walked out of the library. She pulled her coat tighter around her as she walked down the street to her favorite café to meet her friends. The café was the most popular place to hang out on this side of town. It was in an old brick building with a lot of character. They always have live music going and the food is amazing. Emily sees her friends Rachel and James as she walks into the café and they wave for her to come sit with them. Rachel jumps up and gives her a warm hug. It had been a long time since the three of them had spent any amount of time together. Rachel and Emily have been best friends since they were seven. They used to spend every moment possible together, but then they grew up and lost touch for a little bit. They met James when they were in high school. His humor and laid back personality help keep them balanced. The three of them have pretty much been best friends ever since.

"What book are you reading now Emily?" James inquired with a smirk. He has always thought she was the biggest nerd for spending so much time at the library. He never made fun of her for it. It was just something that he didn't really understand.

"Oh, just my latest obsession," Emily sighed as she sat down at the table with her friends.

"What is this one about?" asked Rachel. She had always shown a lot more interest in what Emily was reading about. She liked to hear about the stories; she just didn't like to read them herself.

"It's a mystery. It is about this wealthy, influential guy named Fortunato that disappeared about fifty years ago. Apparently he was at a party and then he just disappeared. No one knows what happened to him, and almost everyone that knew him is dead now too. The best part about this is that it's a true story," Emily rambled on excitedly.

"Wait, hold up. This is real? Because if it is, I just got a lot more interested," James responded excitedly. He loves to go on adventures. "Maybe we could try to solve the mystery?"

"I wish we could, but this all happened in Rome and this manuscript is the only information the library had," Emily replied sadly.

"Then let's go to Rome!" he said with excitement.

"I think that's a great idea," said Rachel, "We haven't done anything interesting for a really long time. We also have never been to Rome. It will be so much fun. Emily, are you good with all of this? It was your idea after all," she rambled on.

"Yes! Let's go. I'm so excited. I've always wanted to do something like this I've just never had the courage to actually do it," Emily exclaimed. She couldn't wait to go to Rome.

It was a long trip from London to Rome, but they were all so excited that the time passed very quickly. There was so much to look at. The train took them through several different countries and many, many old cities. They were fascinated by everything that they saw, all the old buildings, and all the people. "I think we are almost here!" exclaimed Rachel suddenly. The train pulled into the station in Rome about ten minutes later.