“No,” He spoke up, his voice managing to sound even. “He lied. We were supposed to see him now.” 

“Oh.” 

“Do you know where he is flying back to? Where he lives?” Ava speaks up. This surprises Harry. The words surprise her too. She didn’t know why she asked this but she still wanted to talk to him. Regardless of what her father may feel about her, she needed answers. Even if it meant that she could get hurt once again. 

“He just moved to Portland, Oregon actually. He was just in Ohio for a few years.” Adam answers tentatively, ignoring the death glares that Harry was giving him. 

“Do you, um, have his number or e-mail? That I could contact him with?” 

“No.” Harry’s voice is harsh but stern. “You are no way in hell contacting him.” 

“Harry, he’s my dad. I need to talk to him.”

“No, you don’t. He clearly doesn’t want to talk to you.” Harry counters back. 

As much as the reality of the situation hurt her, and how much she knew that he was saying the truth, she didn’t care. She needed this - for closure. “I know Harry but... I need this.” 

Adam scratches the back of his neck awkwardly as he looks between the two. He speaks up. “Yeah, I have his details. I can give you a print out copy of it.” He excuses himself out of the office leaving Harry and Ava alone. 

Once he shuts the door, Harry turns to Ava. His eyes are enraged. She is a taken back by the look in his eyes. “There is no way in hell that I’m letting you talk to him.” She looks at him in disbelief. She didn’t need his permission to talk to her father. She was old enough to make her own decisions. She was a grown woman. If she wanted to talk to her dad she was going to do it. 

“I’m going to do this Harry. That’s final.” 

“Please don’t do this. Please.” His voice growing increasingly softer. He grabs her hands into his and pulls her close. “I can’t handle seeing you cry again.” He whispers. 

As much as that brought butterflies to her heart, she couldn’t back down from this. She needed this. She takes another step closer and pulls him to her. Her fingers are playing with his bigger ones. She looks down at the way her small hand fits against his own. The contrast between the two almost humorous. 

“I get where you’re coming from,” her voice gentle. “But please see where I am coming from too. This is my dad. I hate what he did and I hate that I didn’t know he was alive. I hate even more that he left without talking to me. It really, really sucks that he left.” She pushes the tears down before she continues. She looks up at him, his green eyes softening with each word that she speaks. “But I have so many questions that need answers. And he is my only way of getting those answers.” 

Harry doesn’t say anything back. He just looks at her. Their eye contact not breaking. It isn’t until Adam returns that the bond between their eyes break apart. “Here Ava,” he hands her a small envelope. “Inside is all of his information. We are technically not supposed to give out our authors information, but considering the circumstances I can make an exception.” He smiles kindly at her. 

“Thank you.” She returns his smile and places the small envelope into her bag. “I should go.” 

Harry turns to Adam who gives him an understanding nod. “I’ll drive you home.” 

“Oh no, that’s fine. I can walk.” 

“Don’t be ridiculous, Ava. I will drive you.” He gives her a stern (yet playful) look in which she rolls her eyes in return.