6.The Empress

I was sitting out in the pavilion when my bodyguard ran in.
" My lady" , he huffed his as face red as a falling leaves in autumn, "please don't evade me, I am meant to protect you." He sat down on a bench in the pavilion and looked at me. I resumed painting my nails with a clear concoction.
"My lady", began Fei Xuan,"may I ask what you are applying to your nails?"
I smiled at him and aswered, " a mixture made from snake poison and grass pollen." The look on his face as he tried to proves that I was smearing poison on my nails was hilarious and I started laughing.
"What use will it have my lady?" He asked only to get, " You will see soon enough" from me.
Suddenly a messenger stumbled into the pavilion.
"Madam, her royal highness the Empress and her highness the royal concubine request your presence at the premiere residence." Said the messenger.
I freshened up and headed to the premiere residence, where I was greeted with a hug from a stunning young woman who was the spitting image of my fiancé, she must be the imperial concubine Chen. A rather... large woman stood next to her. She must be the mother of the crown prince. The Empress . They are joined by two attractive young women, they must be princesses, one of which is glaring daggers at me. I go inside the building and sit down. The Empress introduces me to the young princess who seems to hate me.
" This is my daughter Meiji, she was the best candidate for your husbands future bride however you now hold that title."
This makes sense now! This runt loved my Xi. Ooohhh scandalous the princess has a brother complex!
We sat down to have tea. The traditional ceremony took at least 3hrs then we could drink the tea.
"Ai Jei wait before you drink that", called the Empress,"we have a special blend for the new entry to our family, it is made out of blood ginseng, mint and plantain! Drink up now."
Blood ginseng, mint and plantain hmm. If one were to eat these three ingredients separately it wouldn't have an effect, however when mixed it creates a poison which has no know cure. But I can't refuse a drink from the Empress, I looked at her through the corner of my eye to see her watching me. That snake!
"Is it not to your taste Ai Jei?" Asked the older princess.
"No, it's wonderful!" I replied carefully swirling my finger in the concoction and taking a sip.
"AI JEI", my fiancée burst in," come we are going! " he demanded. I had just made it outside of the residence when a wave of dizziness overcame me.
"Xi..." I whispered as my vision darkened.

Xi'S POV (Ai Jei's Fiancée)
"I am sorry sir, there is nothing I can do, the poison is attacking her immune system she will die in minutes." Said the imperial doctor grimly. "Sir she has departed."
" No she can't die , she hasn't achieved her goal yet, she can't leave me." I yelled for the whole palace to hear. I burst into racking sobs.
"Good to know that you care about me so much", came a silky voice. I turned around slowly.
"Little one!" I breathed