Chapter 28: The Fourth Rehearsal

I spend most of Tuesday practicing and tidying up. I'm beginning to feel restless with an impending deadline being held over me, and cleaning helps take my mind off of things. And living with Sherlock, Lord knows there's always a mess to clean up. I even tried to clean out the fridge, but after finding a couple of severed fingers and some eyeballs in the vegetable drawer, I decided to just stick to my top shelf from now on.

Sherlock was typical Sherlock, jumping from one task to another, pacing and muttering to himself, Mind Palace, computer, experiments, and round and round he went. His behavior was making me nervous, so I finally went back up to my room to spend the rest of the evening.

I wake up Wednesday morning with a sense of dread. I'm sure I will have some sort of encounter with Leonardo today, and I'm not looking forward to it. I text Eve to try and distract myself: "Coffee after rehearsal today? Or maybe something stronger?"

She replies quickly. "More pulse reading stories about Sherlock?"

"Lol of course not, pretending like nothing is happening, remember? Just want to have some fun."

"Sure, see you at rehearsal!"

I get ready and head downstairs. I see Sherlock sitting in his chair sipping a cup of tea. "Kettle's on if you want some," he says, not looking at me when he speaks. I enter the kitchen and grab a teacup and pour myself some tea. It only took a few weeks in London, but I'm finally starting to enjoy hot tea.

I sit in my chair across from Sherlock. "You didn't drug it, did you?" I ask him.

"No, of course not. If I wanted to drug you, it wouldn't be in such an obvious way. It'd be much more sophisticated."

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Sounds like you've put some thought into this."

"There's always the possibility in my line of work."

Our conversation dies after that. I quietly sip my tea and look around the room. I focus on his bookshelf, attempting to read some of the book titles. I doubt I'll find anything I'd be interested in reading. A flat box in the corner catches my eye. It looks like a board game, says "Cluedo" on the side.

"Why are you so anxious?" Sherlock asks. I turn my head and see that he's looking at me.

"I'm sure you already know the answer, so why even bother?" I reply tartly.

"Of course I know the reason you're anxious, but I don't understand why."

I sigh. "That doesn't make sense, Sherlock."

"You're anxious about Leonardo. But why?"

"I have every reason to be anxious about Leonardo. He's blackmailing me. And I have to see him again this afternoon. I'm sure that he's going to approach me. That makes me anxious," I say coolly.

"But it shouldn't. I have everything under control. Once again, an emotion taking rein and controlling you."

I'm beginning to lose my temper. "Why don't you come over and take my pulse, I'm sure you'd learn everything you need to know by doing so." My voice is laced with anger.

"Is that why you no longer trust me to solve this case?"

So much for pretending like nothing happened. That didn't last very long. I sigh as I stare at the teacup in my hands. "Sherlock, I..."

"I'm sorry."

I look up at Sherlock. "What?"

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have manipulated you. I realize that could make you lose trust in me."