Chapter 3: The Audition

I walk in and look around, trying to find a registration table. I don't see anything of the sort, so I listen to try and hear some cellists warming up. Vacancies in the London Symphony are rare, especially mid-season. The cello vacancy was the only open position I was aware of, so I expected to only see cellists on the audition day. But I don't hear any cellists; I don't hear anything, for that matter.

I start to wonder if maybe I had missed the audition. I know I got lost, but I didn't think I was running too far behind. I check my iPhone to see what time it is: 1:45pm. I open my Calendar app to check the audition time and information:

Cello audition, Barbican Centre, Thursday, November 15, 2:30pm audition time, arrive at 2:00pm for warm-up

I look back at my home screen to make sure I'm here on the right day, and sure enough, it's November 15. I scan the lobby, trying to find anyone who might be able to help me.

"Excuse me, are you Sophia Wilson?" I hear from behind me.

I turn to see a young, professional woman walking in my direction. "Yes, I'm Sophia Wilson," I respond.

"I'm Jacqueline Stuart, the librarian for the London Symphony. Please follow me; I'll escort you to the warm-up room."

I follow her down the hall, and she opens a door leading into a large rehearsal room. I expect to see the space full of cellists practicing furiously in preparation for their audition, but as I walk inside, I'm deafened by the silence. There was no one here! I turn to Ms. Stuart with a look of surprise on my face.

"You are the only cellist interested in the opening," she explains with a kind smile. "Your resume is very impressive, as well as the recording you submitted, but we would still like for you to audition, as a formality. Take your time warming up, then proceed down the hall. We'll be waiting in room 112, whenever you're ready." She turned and left the room, leaving me standing there in confusion.

How am I the only person auditioning for this position? The London Symphony is one of the most prestigious orchestras in the world; why was no one else here? I'd expected to see cellists from all over competing for this coveted spot, and I honestly was auditioning just for the experience; I'd only found out about the opening last week. I never thought I'd actually make it. And now the position is mine, by default?

I unpack my cello and begin rosining my bow, trying to figure out why no one else would be auditioning. As I pick up my cello and find a chair, I decide to push these thoughts from my head. Even though this audition is just formality, I still want to give them a great performance and prove to them that I deserve to be a member of the London Symphony.

After warming up, I leave the rehearsal space and walk down the hall to room 112. The door is propped open, and I pop my head in. There are three people sitting at a table: Maestro Alexander Baronovsky, the main conductor; Charles Dawson, the principal cellist; and Ms. Stuart, whom I'd met earlier.

"Miss Wilson, please come in," the conductor says in his thick Russian accent.

"Thank you for taking the time to listen to me today," I reply politely as I enter the room and find my seat while placing my music on the stand.

"To save time, we'd only like to hear the first excerpt from Don Juan. We have a, er, meeting we have to get to," murmured the principal cellist. He spoke very quietly, and he wasn't looking directly at me. He has dark circles under his eyes, as though he hadn't slept in days. Clearly, something was troubling this man, but I shouldn't be thinking about that now.

"Of course, sir."

I play the excerpt to the best of my ability: the runs are clean, the dynamics are musical. I am very proud of my performance. I let the last note ring, and then I relax and look at panel in front of me. They look at each other, nod, and the gentlemen rise quickly and prepare to leave.

"Thank you, Miss Wilson, that will be all," the conductor says as he walks out the door. The principal cellist shuffles past me without a word. I turn to Ms. Stuart with a look of bewilderment.

"I apologize for their brusqueness, Miss Wilson. They have a lot on their minds right now," explains Ms. Stuart.

"Ms. Stuart, please forgive me, but this all seems a bit weird. I'm the only one auditioning, I only have to play one excerpt, and then they leave immediately after my performance. What am I missing?" I ask.

Ms. Stuart sighs and looks torn as she rubs her hands together. "Well, things have been a bit odd in the Symphony lately. The cellist you are replacing, Leonardo? He died last week. Charles thought it was too soon to be auditioning for a new cellist-he and Leo were really close-but Alexander insisted."

"Bless your hearts, I had no idea!" I exclaim.

"I figured you didn't know, since you actually showed up. We had quite a few auditions lined up, but they all withdrew their applications after the medical examiner released that Leo's death was a murder. Too scared, I guess."

I gulp as I process that information. "Do the police have any leads about the murder?"

"No, not yet. The police haven't made any progress. The Detective Inspector even called in an expert to help with the case. That's where they are off to now, to meet with this new consultant. Speaking of which, I need to head that way myself." She gathers her things and begins to leave.

"But Ms. Stuart..."

"Rehearsals are on Wednesdays," she interjects as she pauses next me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Welcome to the London Symphony, Miss Wilson." She gives my shoulder a squeeze and then exits the room.