Part 6

A month later

Chance smiles at me from across the table as we finish our breakfast. Working for him has been wonderful, and it feels less like work and more like enjoying . . . well, just being. Since I've been here, I have slowly been able to discover me again, only it goes a lot deeper. I never thought I could ever feel this way. It is all so new to me. I mean, sure I have been married, but Jake had thrown my trust away long before he died. Ours had not been a marriage of real love, but of necessity. And with me being three months pregnant, we had decided it was best. Looking back, I can see how wrong we were. And had I remained single and raised my child alone, maybe she would still be . . .

No, not today.

Chance's warm hand covers mine. I look up and try to will the sadness and guilt from my features, but it is becoming increasingly evident that I can't hide anything from him.

"Is it time for another pep talk?"

"No," I sigh dramatically, then smile. "I think I'm good."

He smiles back. "I know you are. And because you are doing so well, I would like to take you out tonight."

Swallowing hard, my smile fades slightly. "You mean, like a date?"

"Yes, I mean a date."

"I don't know . . ." Despite my strong feelings for him–feelings that continue to grow with each passing second–I am afraid. I'm afraid to letting him into my heart only to be abandoned later. I couldn't handle losing yet another person. "Maybe that isn't such a good idea right now."

"Cosset, look at me." I bravely raise my eyes to his ruggedly handsome face. "I love you, Cosset, and I know you have feelings for me."

"I'm sorry," I whisper, getting up. "I can't." Feeling the coming of unwanted tears, I turn to leave, but his hand catches mine before I even make it to the doorway.

Moving behind me, he wraps his arms around my waist, pressing me back against his muscular chest. My eyes slip shut as my body melts against his. Truthfully, I am in love with him, pure and simple. I couldn't deny it even if I tried.

But I am still afraid.

Over the past month, Chance has made his feelings crystal clear. He has comforted me when I have needed comfort, been a listening ear, and an amazing friend. Though he has never pushed himself on me and has showered me with all the affection I have longed for but never had until him, I can't seem to let go of the fear and hurt I've carried inside for so long.

And more than anything, I don't think I am good enough for him. I feel unworthy, like I don't deserve someone like him. I'll never belong in his world. I guess I have lived on the streets too long to see it any other way.

"Don't," he whispers against my ear, his warm breath melting my insides like butter in a hot skillet. "You are worth more than you can possibly know." He kisses my ear and a heady sigh escapes me. What this man does to me with a simple touch! "You are an amazing woman, and I need you to know, I'm so in love with you, I can't think straight half the time."

"You can't . . ." I try to pull away, but he holds me fast against his solid warm body.

"I know you don't believe I can truly love you, but you are wrong. Let me prove it to you, Cosset. Let me show you how much you mean to me. Give me a chance to prove to you that having your love is worth everything, that owning your heart would be a priceless gift."

I turn in his arms just as tears begin to spill down my cheeks. His words are beautiful, and I desperately want to believe him, because I lost my heart to him the moment I awakened in his car and glimpsed his face. And it hadn't been because of his looks, but because of the raw emotion I saw in his eyes when he met my gaze, the sincerity that had been written in his expression.

You are so good. Too good for me.

"Trust me," he whispers, touching his forehead to mine. "Trust me to prove my love to you. Trust me with your heart." The warmth of his breath fans my lips and they part. Then he presses his glorious mouth to mine and my knees go weak, which only serves to have him hold me even closer, every inch of me longing to be a part of him. His mouth is warm and sweet, like the melon he'd eaten a moment ago. His tongue sensuously moves against mine and I lose all sense of time and place. I allow my hands to explore his masculine waist and travel of his sculpted back, over his chiseled biceps, and finally bury my fingers in his soft, thick hair. He moans, deepening the kiss even more and I am on fire. His own hands travel everywhere, searing a burning path, branding me in each place he touches.

I love him. I don't know how this can be happening to me, but I love him with every fiber of my being.

Slowly parting his mouth from mine, his kiss moves to my neck, then to my exposed shoulder, making me grateful for whoever invented tank tops. I'm sure it was a guy.

Chance is ever a gentleman during his passionate ministrations, which makes me love him all the more. The feel of his tongue against my skin causes a combination of heat and chills to come over me and goosebumps erupt on my arms. No one has ever made me feel so much at once. When his mouth finally returns to mine, I sigh.

"Promise you won't break my heart," I murmur. "Promise me."

He draws back a little to look into my eyes, emotion stirring in his gaze. "I promise you, baby. I won't break your heart. I never will."

Swallowing hard, I finally say, "I love you, Chance. And I'll trust you with my heart."