15| Wife Material

Patrick

"Where are we going" I ask as Danny drags me around the city. It was warm for a Chicago winter day but I wasn't sure what to expect. I grew up in Buffalo so it wasn't that much of a difference in weather but there was a lot more going on here.

"Don't you find it the tiniest bit odd that you've been living here for almost half a year and you haven't seen the city yet" she asks.

"I've been busy. I don't have time to see the city" I claim.

"Well we're making time. Come on" she says dragging me behind her.

It was mid January and snow covered the ground but that didn't phase her in the least. We walked around the pier just messing around and taking pictures for a little before heading inside to warm up. We find some hot chocloate and sit on a bench outside. It defiantly made me feel warm on the inside.

I look over as the city framed her petite body. The wind whipping her long hair around under her cap covering her ears. Her nose a little red but still super cute. Her lips pulled into a beautiful smile as she looks out over the water just enjoying life.

"How long have you lived here" I wonder as we look out over the snow covered city. It was really pretty.

"Since I was eight. We moved around a lot when my dad got stationed places but we spent most of our time in Missouri. But when my mom was diagnosed with cancer my dad moved us here so she can get taken care of and we could be close to family. He was around to help her when he could but you can't really reject a deployment" she shrugs.

"What type of cancer did she have" I ask.

"She had breast cancer, pretty bad too. She got both of them removed and did chemo but it wasn't enough. She died two years after we moved here."

"Was your dad here when she passed?"

"Yeah. She passed in his arms. It's kind of dark to think about but that's how she wanted to go. They loved each other hard so seeing that was the worst moment in my life. I've never seen him cry like that and I never want to see it again. He had seen the most horrific and terrible things over seas, things you couldn't imagine. He's been in so many wars, seen young kids die and some of his best friends die. But it wasn't until my mom passed did he ever cry. He put her in the ground and I think that's when it hit him. It was just him and I left."

"He's so strong."

"He's my hero. He's not around a lot but he always makes sure I'm taken care of. I know he's watching over me somehow. I'm happy he's out there fighting because it's something a lot of us wouldn't do. I know I wouldn't be able to handle it. He's as strong as they come. Last time he was here he gave me this necklace" she says pulling it out of her coat. It was a picture of her and him and it made me smile.

"It's beautiful" I admit.

"I won't lie, it's hard sometimes. I worry that my dad isn't going to come back. That thought is always in the back of my mind. I don't think I could go through losing him too" she sighs.

"So when did you move in with Stan" I ask trying to change the subject.

"Not too long after my mom died. I was ten and still in school here, my dad didn't want to move me and Stan offered to help out. Will and Camden weren't born yet so it was just me and Uncle Stan and Aunt Suzy for a little. That's when I got seriously got involved into hockey. I mean I've always been involved in hockey. My grandpa would get us tickets to games, during the holidays we were surrounded by hockey players and other people who had something to do with it. I fell in love with the game and what happens behind the scenes. I love the players and what they represent" she sighs.

"For someone who loves hockey players you sure do hate the idea of dating hockey players" I notice.

"It's not that I don't like hockey players really, I don't like the lifestyle. I don't like the idea of you being gone so long. I don't like the idea of something happening to you. I don't like the idea of you out there living your life and I'm stuck home waiting on you. I just don't see me as hockey wife material" she claims.

"You think we're getting married" I smirk and she rolls her eyes.

"Patrickkk" she whines and I laugh.

"I know I know. But I hope you know it won't be anything like that" I tell her.

"Won't? You're really sure I'm going to end up with you" she giggles.

"You were the one calling yourself my hockey wife a moment ago" I tease.

"Fine, you got me there" she admits.

"But I think you would be the best hockey wife ever. You wouldn't be like the others because you're working for the organization, most of the wives don't work but I can't see you as a stay at home type. You would be right in the middle helping the office and the players and the coaches. You can come on the road so I would never have to leave you. You would be by my side the entire time and we can spend our nights in each other's arms" I insist.

"And as for you getting hurt" she asks.

"A wise woman once told me that you can't hurt what you can't catch" I say and she smiles.

"Come on, we have a city to see" she claims standing up and pulling me behind her.

"So how many more years of college do you need until you can work in the front office without having to follow Stan around and intern" I wonder as we walk the streets.

"One more year for my bachelors and four for my master, but I don't mind following him around. He's brilliant really, I'm learning from the best" I admit.

"You think we're going to be set for a while" I ask.

"Yeah, I think you guys will be fine. No playoffs this year but from here on out there isn't any reason you guys shouldn't be good" she claims.

"But we are pretty inexperienced" I admit.

"You have to start somewhere. Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try, and you guys are trying. You take what you have and you make the most of it. Look at you and Jonny and Bickell. Two of you have a real chance to win the Calder and Bickell is tearing up the minors. Duncs is playing like the best defenseman out there and he works wonders with Seabrook. Big Buff looks like a wall and you guys are figuring yourself out. Give it time and you'll give it history" she says.

"You're already really good at your job" I admit and she giggles. "Can I ask you a question" I wonder.

"What's up" she wonders.

"What did you see in me when St. Louis offered you so much to have me" I ask.

"I saw in you a future. I saw something that a bunch of different people couldn't offer a team. I saw someone a franchise could build around. I saw rookie of the year but I also saw Ted Lindsey and Hart and Art Ross and a Stanley cup. I don't know if you noticed, but St. Louis doesn't know much about that last one" she says and I crack up.

"Yeah, you're Stans niece" I nod. "Well thank you for believing in me. I hope I can live up to all your hopes and dreams" I say.

"You will. I know it" she insists.