"I needed to come home." Mamie sobbed.

Don immediately took her into his arms and comforted her. "This will always be your home, sweetheart. You stay as long as you want. This trip to Indy is coming at a good time, huh?"

"Yeah, it is." Mamie sobbed into her father's chest.

Meryl could hear her baby girl crying. She tried to wake up. "Did you have a bad dream, sweetie?"

"I wish it was just a bad dream, Mama." Mamie cried as she kicked off her shoes.

Meryl woke up fully to realize it was a grown up Mamie who was crying; not a little girl Mamie. Meryl pulled back the covers and reached out to her pajama covered oldest daughter. "Come here, sweetie girl."

"It's over, Mama." Mamie cried as he mother held her tight. "He's going to try to take me for everything and drag our family names through the mud."

Don was trying not to get mad as he knew it wouldn't help Mamie. "He doesn't have a prayer."

"Your daddy's right." Meryl said with a kiss to Mamie's head. "Your dad and Larry won't let that happen. What happened, sweetheart?"

Don was afraid he knew. "Is it because I went off on him?"

"It started out that way." Mamie cried as her father got into bed and sandwiched their daughter between him and his wife. "Then it all just exploded; it's not your fault, Daddy. He said I shouldn't talk to you two about our problems."

Meryl shook her head as she gave her husband a look over their daughter's head. "We are exactly who you should talk to."

"No matter what." Don said with a kiss to his daughter's head.

Meryl and Don laid there with their daughter for the longest time, loving on her, soothing her until she finally fell asleep. Meryl could tell Don wasn't asleep and was deep in thought by his breathing. Meryl reached out to run her fingers through his hair. Both of them eventually falling asleep as they held their daughter, and each other.

***

Meryl and Don woke up the next morning with their daughter still sleeping in-between them. Meryl locked her eyes with his when she could tell he was deep in thought. "Morning, handsome."

"Hey there." Don winked as he reached for her hand and kissed it. "Feeling okay?"

Meryl nodded as she chuckled. "So far; but I just woke up." Meryl then stroked his face. "You seemed deep in thought. Care to share?"

"I was just thinking that no matter how big they get; that they will never grow out of needing us." Don said as Meryl stroked Mamie's hair. "And that it's a good thing we didn't downsize to a smaller bed."

Meryl laughed as she touched her stomach. "I think it's a very good idea. No matter how big they get, they will always be our babies."

"I'm kind of glad about that." Don smiled. "My heart breaks for her; she doesn't deserve this shit."

Meryl sighed. "I know; I really thought he was it."

"Me too, babe." Don said as he ran his fingers through her hair. "But sometimes when you give up on love is when you meet your soulmate and your whole world opens up."

Meryl leaned over their daughter to kiss his lips. "Yes it is; and I'm grateful for that."

***

Don was cooking breakfast while he made Meryl sit on the barstool at the counter; and she was protesting. "I can help cook eggs, Don."