vi.

"Where are we going?" asked Jurauk for the millionth time, small hand latching onto the back of Vladislav's cape

"Where are we going?" asked Jurauk for the millionth time, small hand latching onto the back of Vladislav's cape. The older Nefari didn't turn around.

With a sigh he replied, "patience, please. We will get there soon. It's a pity we can't fly like our distant relatives." He gave a pointed look at the ravens circling lazily overhead. Jurauk grinned, spreading out his arms and flapping them up and down. He darted ahead of Vladislav, crowing and laughing in delight.

"Look, Vlad! I can fly!"

Ravens flew down from their lofty perches to circle around his head. One landed on his arm, and he felt its claws gently grip his skin. "It likes me! Does it like me?"

Vlad was clearly having a conversation with a raven. Jurauk studied the two's unblinking eyes and knowing smiles. Then Vladislav blinked, snapping out of his trance. "The fledglings seem to have taken a liking to you. No doubt they sense your ancestral roots. This old one has confirmed that."

Jurauk gazed at the elder raven in awe. "I wish I could talk to you like Vlad," he said forlornly. The raven cawed three times in quick succession, almost as if it were laughing.

"He says that you will in time, little prince," chuckled Vladislav, helping Jurauk with a jacket button that had come undone. "Our people have a unique gift, but you can't use it until you're much older."

Vladislav turned back to the raven, resuming their silent conversation. After a few minutes, Jurauk began to get bored. Unbeknownst to his chaperone, he wandered off the rocky path, his attention fixated on a glowing firefly. He leapt at it, but when he peeked through his fingers, he was disappointed to find his palms empty.

"Hey Vlad," he said with a yawn, "it's getting late. Can we go home?"

When there was no answer, Jurauk twisted around, finding himself alone in a menacing forest which had looked so friendly earlier. "Vlad?" he choked out, fear clawing its way up his throat. The firefly blinked once and zipped away, leaving Jurauk in the trees' shadows.

Had Jurauk been paying attention to his surroundings, perhaps he would have seen the suspiciously open air of the clearing ahead. But alas, he was too overwhelmed by terror to notice the sharp drop. He happened to step on some loose rocks, and the earth gave away. A hysterical scream ripped from his lips as gravity strengthened its hold on him.

Jurauk scrabbled madly for some purchase. Vines, rocks, roots, anything. He managed to grab hold of a thin, gnarled root. The bark wailed as it bent to support his weight, scraping across his skin.

Far away, he heard something crashing through the brush. "Jurauk!" shouted Vladislav. The older Nefari emerged onto a rocky ledge further down. His countenance was one of dismay as he realized that he'd come from the wrong direction. The gap between Jurauk and him was too far to jump.

Vlad was about to backtrack when the root snapped in Jurauk's hand. He yelped as his slipped. This time when he tried to seize a hold, his fingers closed around air. Vladislav shouted something incoherent.

Trapped in freefall, Jurauk left his belly -and its contents- up on the cliff. Time became snaillike. He caught sight of Vladislav with an outstretched hand, mouth open in shock. At that moment, the gloom swallowed him, obscuring his vision.

One.

Two.

Three.

Jurauk opened his eyes as something sharp gripped his sleeves. Another tug at his trousers. There was a strange sound ringing in his ears, and a few soft and lights things fell into his mouth.

He was no longer falling. Rather, he was rising.

Jurauk gasped, earning himself another mouthful of -were those feathers? He broke free of the darkness. Black wings and obnoxious cawing surrounded him. The ravens were chattering.

Catharine, why are we lifting this boy? I was about to devour a beetle.

Alexei, he called us. I know you're hungry, but you know the rules.

Hey, you two! Quit bickering. You're getting distracted, and my wings are aching. Nefari children are so heavy.

He didn't understand why he could understand them.

"Jurauk!" shouted Vladislav. The ravens deposited Jurauk roughly beside him. They vanished into the woods, leaving behind only a few black tufts. Jurauk lay on his back, chest heaving. Vladislav's face was ashen as he checked over Jurauk's body for wounds.

Other than a few minor scratches, he was unharmed. Vlad breathed out a sigh of relief and promptly collapsed against a large boulder. "You scared me to death," he scolded. Tears welled in Jurauk's amber eyes, but to his credit, none were spilled. He rubbed his nose, holding back an onslaught of snot.

"I'm so sorry Vlad," he sniffled. "I'll never go too far from you ever again!"

Vlad held out his arms, and Jurauk left into them, instantly engulfed by the golden cloak. They settled into silence. There was an uneasiness resting in Vladislav's gut. Nefari could only communicate with ravens, and the ability didn't show until they were around seventeen years-old. Speaking back and forth was the extent of the ability.

However, the ravens had come to Jurauk's aid without question. Even Vlad hadn't thought of summoning the birds.

Jurauk's eyelids were fluttering, and his yawns were more and more frequent. Silently, Vladislav slung Jurauk onto his back. The little Nefari snaked his arms around his neck, a little tight, but not to the point of choking.

"I'm sleepy, Vlad," he murmured, nodding off. Vlad smiled.

"You probably are. Get some rest. We can always go on another expedition."

Vladislav figured the little prince had experienced enough excitement today. He wasn't sure how a young child would handle seeing the person he viewed as an elder brother spread human blood everywhere. Perhaps he'd bring him again another day.

With the rising moons shining behind him, Vladislav started the journey back to Lezdemok, Jurauk fast asleep on his back.

HAVE YOU GUYS NOTICED THE LOVELY HEADERS AND ENDERS???? They are by the fabulous @aLovelyDaydream She's very talented

HAVE YOU GUYS NOTICED THE LOVELY HEADERS AND ENDERS???? They are by the fabulous @aLovelyDaydream She's very talented. You can find her at aLovelyDaydream. Go check her out!

I thoroughly enjoyed writing this chapter. To be honest, I literally did not expect anything that happened XD I just go with the flow. Screw planning ahead.

Discussion Questions: What type of expedition do you think Vlad was planning? What do you think about Jurauk's abilities?

Thank you dear readers. I love you all!

Note: Apparently people don't know how old I am XD I think I mentioned this in the author's note, but meh. I'm fourteen :)