Twenty Two: The Day Has Come

Start from the beginning

"What if the attack cuts out the power?" I press.

"Then we exit through here," he responds without missing a beat as we come to the end of the other hallway from the livingroom.

A gargantuan hangar, equipped with tall walls that could fit all of Gotham Academy inside is presented to us. Part water, part ground with a red jet and a mechanical looking mega ball sitting idle.

"Is that a spaceship?" Ellery gawks.

Everything is getting a little bit...crazy. 

"A spaceship," Ellery nudges me. 

I give her a small smile before I notice Nightwing observing me quietly. I'm about to call him out on it, but an electronic chirping sound echoes through the hangar.

"That thing's coming this way!"

"That thing is called Sphere, or the Super Cycle," Nightwing says. 

Sure enough when I turn around that 'mega ball' or Sphere, I suppose, is barreling right towards me. 

"Aww, like a little dog," Illusion says.

When Sphere stops in front of me, the impulse is too overwhelming and I find myself reaching out and gently placing one hand on her surface.

"She's been here as long as any of us," Nightwing explains, "We found her on a mission."

The only description I can give to the noises she makes are chirps. Perhaps she is more like a bird than a dog.

"What does she do?" I ask. Before Nightwing can answer, Sphere takes it upon herself to display her abilities. Her round form shifts with a series of clicks and whirs. Her parts seperate as she transforms into some sort of space bike.

"Cool," I whisper, and I know Ellery smirks sideways at me.

"She likes you," an unfamiliar voice calls out from the entrance. The three of us turn around to see Superboy standing there. Sphere dashes to him.

"You guys are back already?" Nightwing asks.

Superboy nods, "It was a minor situation."

Ellery and I share a glance. I think we're both thinking the same thing; this guy looks as young as, well, Ellery. Is he not an original of the team? If he's like, sixteen, he would have been ten all those years ago when the world of adults and children split apart, or when those plant monsters attacked.

"This is Conner," Nightwing says, gesturing to Superboy.

"Sup," Ell says.

"Hello," I echo, wondering if I can pet the Super Cycle again. 

"I have one more thing to show you," Nightwing says. As he passes Superboy they seem to give each other weary looks.

"Somewhere serious?" Ellery asks, her voice mocking. Nightwing doesn't react and I think that answers the question.

On the way we pass the living-room/kitchen. Again, we are stopped, because Miss Martian and Beast Boy are standing there preparing food.

"Hi!" Beast Boy says. He shifts into a cat and primly leaps off of the counter towards me. "Dog or cat person?" He asks. Ellery snorts.

"Dog," I answer, turning away from him because I sense the flirting. The action makes Miss Martian laugh and Nightwing looks away as if to hide a smile.

"I can do dog," he grins, before the cat grows in size and fur turns to hair. He transforms into a green labrador. In an annoyingly cute gesture, he raises his paw, "Garfield," he grins.