Chapter Fourteen: No choice

"I don't understand" Thomas looked deep into her eyes looking for the obvious answer. He didn't want her to leave for mainly his own benefit but also for hers.

"I need to go Thomas" She looked down as she tried to walk past him but he grabbed her arm spinning her around to face him. Her eyes wouldn't lift up from the ground as he spoke.

"you're leaving because of what an old woman said to you?" He let out a nervous laugh

"She not wrong though, everything she said makes sense Thomas" Her words filled with truth

"But if you love me nothing else should matter, consequence or no consequence we should be in this together" Thomas tried to come to a better conclusion but her mind was clearly made. 

"If I don't leave Thomas you'll get hurt and I'll never be able to forgive myself. My father has an army what have you got?" Her eyes welling

"I've got you, you are the only hope that I need" Thomas pleaded his jaw clenching out of frustration.

"Its not enough, it never is"

-------

As the Shelby's sat around the table in the front room of the family home tensions were rising between them all, everyone looking down at their feet or out of the window but never at each other. No one could quite understand why Thomas would give up so easily on the very thing that changed his personality. Around Ayla he was a completely different person and it didn't go unnoticed.He was quieter and more contained around other people especially women. He hadn't showed an interest in anyone but her and this wasn't like the infamous Tommy Shelby at all normally if he wanted someone he would have them but this wasn't the case anymore.

"How can you just let her go like this?" Polly's voice filled with spite as she shouted across the table at Thomas who looked like he was giving up, she had come to love Ayla despite her secret.She felt motherly towards her. Puffs of smoke leaving his nose and a drink held firmly in his hands, his knuckles turning white from his grip.

"What choice do I have? she's made her mind up" he said simply. His eyes following the swirls of smoke forming around his head.

"Pols right Tommy Get up and go after her!" John said out of nowhere, trying to cheer him up even in the slightest.

"Did she say where she was going?" Arthur asked trying to get Thomas's full attention but Thomas was hurting, he didn't have the patience to answer all of their questions, his fingers traced his temples. 

"She's under the protection of the peaky blinders! You promised to keep her safe and now you're letting her go off on her own to god knows where?!" Polly shouted at him "she's gonna get herself killed out there" Polly pointed at the door.

"She can look after herself Pol" Thomas said rubbing his chin with his hands in frustration. Everyone in the room knew he didn't mean what he was saying they also knew he was left without and option. This wasn't the side of Thomas they were used to and they didn't know how to approach it.

"You better get your arse up and go after her before I stick my foot down your throat!" Polly said before storming out of the room leaving the boys alone.The slam of the door leaving the house quite for a while.

"Something's up with you Tommo" Arthur's voice filled with concern "you can't afford to show weakness in our line of business. Pull it together mate! She's just a girl, they come and go. You of all people should know that" Arthur said which slightly angered him but he didn't dare show it.

"I guess you're right" he let out a loud sigh but was this really the end? Was he going to go after her or let her be?

----

Taking one final look at her now empty little home Ayla felt like for once in her life she belonged somewhere but it was cut short... her luck. She had decided on where she was heading next and was hoping that Thomas wouldn't start up any commotion. As she opened her front door for the last time a figure stopped her abruptly.

"Ayla what the hell do you think you are doing?" Polly's motherly voice echoing around her house.

"Leaving" she said picking up the last of her bags and closing the street door behind her. The taxi she had called waiting for her outside with the rest of her things.

"You can't just up and leave when you feel like it. Might I remind you that your father is after you?"

"What's that got to do with you?" Ayla said as she placed her bags in the back of the taxi.

"What about Thomas? Do you not care at all for him?" Polly's said which made her heart ache.

"I'm leaving because of that very reason Polly. If I stay not only will my father come after the me but the men that stole his fortune also" she tried to avoid the real conversation.

"The boys can protect themselves. And you" Polly pleaded with her knowing how her nephew truly felt.

"Not against him they can't, my father has a whole army what do the peaky blinders have? razor blades?" she scoffed. Polly fell silent.

"I can't stay even if I wanted to." Ayla took a deep breath. "Take this and give it to Thomas" she handed her a red box which contained something extremely precious to her. "Tell him I'm sorry" was the last thing Ayla said before getting in the back of the taxi. Watching her see off into the distance Polly felt disheartened.

That evening polly made her way back home debating wether on not to give Thomas the box Ayla had left behind for him. She knew this was going to break him and he needed to be strong for what the boys were planning. 

HOLY CRAP WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN?!!!!! 

What do you guys think? will Thomas go after her or will King Sekin get to Ayla before he does?