Chapter 5

The Lord's Misfits

Jean hurried the horses down Union Street. He passed crowds of people that escaped the fire, but now had nowhere to go. He stopped in front of an alley and jumped to the ground tying the reins of the carriage horses to a lamppost. Jean opened the carriage door, climbed inside and as gently as he could lift Abel to his shaky feet.

"Good to see your eyes open, my friend. I will need your help to get you inside the tavern."

Abel just nodded he was barely conscious, but understood what Jean was trying to do. As they proceeded down the narrow alley, a few drunks brushed past them but one bloke offered his help. With his assistance, they were quickly through the doors of the Spotted Pony.

The room was smoky from cigars and pipes, but there did not seem to be any concern for the fire spreading this far. Some drinkers were celebrating the fact that they did not die; others were mourning the loss of everything they owned.

Jean hollered out for the barkeep and a large, heavy hipped woman came through the swinging doors from the back room.

"Jean what a sight ya are for my poor weary eyes. What have ya brought me?"

"Some cut-throats clubbed my friend here on the head, and he needs a room to rest and gentle care for a few days. Heather, my love, can you help us?

"Any friend of yours is a friend of mine, ya'r a gorgeous rascal of a man!"

She took them down to the back of the narrow establishment until they were at the door of a small bedroom. Inside a young coloured girl was sewing in a rocking chair.

"Penny, can ya assist this fellow? He seems to have a knock on the head and needs a place to recline."

Turning to Jean, she said; "Penny has a natural way of healing, her medicines will work wonders for the poor man."

Jean lifted the long grey curls off Heather's cheek and gave her a kiss on the cheek and a hug of gratitude.

"Ya a cheeky sod, get on about ya'r business, but I expect ya to sing for ya'r supper." She said sharply, but gave him a warm smile before she left the room.

"A never saw that before, ya must be quite the charmer to make Heather blush." Penny commented on the interaction.

"No I'm just an old softie for older woman."

"I'll be safe than? Just remember, ya two try anything, and I'll put hemlock in ya'r drinks." She smiled.

Abel moaned as Penny's gentle fingers searched through his coarse hair looking for any kind of cuts that might need cleaning. She quickly left the room leaving them alone.

The two men looked at each other, Abel was upset and made movements indicating that he needed something to write with and paper. Jean tried to calm him down and told him that Michael was safe, but that Seth had gotten away. A look of deep disappointment crossed Abel's face. He had been undercover for two years with Seth's crew trying to do his part to bring Seth to justice. It was all for nothing.

"But look on the bright side old boy, they'll miss your cooking."

The two started to laugh with Abel holding his head, because it hurt.

Jean knew there was nothing more they could do today. They would lick their wounds and start anew.

"I'm going to leave you for a bit and get us both a pint, maybe two." and he gave a hearty laugh. "It's right good to see your eyes open buddy."

Jean left the room just as Penny was entering with the basin and cloths to wash Abel down. She sat on the bed and remarked:

"Ya certainly have a big lump on the head young man."