Chapter 3

One hour before ...

Two young constables, Billy Estey and John Cunningham, were trying to catch up to the long legged Chief Inspector Michael McLaughlin. They pushed their way through the human and animal traffic congesting Market Slip.

Constable Cunningham's bright round, freckled face suddenly broke out into a wide smile. One hand reached around for his belt, to pull up his pants, as his new uniform was too big for him. His Sargent laughed when he gave it to him saying, "You'll grow into it boy!" The other officers, with good humour, joined in on the laugh at his expense.

"John, we are on official police business this day. Wait until I tell my ma and da." He was smiling from ear to ear. "Yes, we are very pleased to help someone from Scotland Yard. We are, aren't we John? We're in the big times now mate."

Constable Estey smiled.

"Yes, we are, right as rain, we are, what a tale we will have at the pub this night. Do you think we'll get a promotion?"

Both young men were eager and thrilled to be in on the arrest of such a notorious pirate. Estey coughed as he chuckled, as both men tried to keep up with the Chief Inspector who was now metres away.

...

Abel, the lone investigator left on the scene was nervous. He was hiding among some stacked crates, near Water Street where he knew Seth was in a business meeting with Mr. Thompson. If Michael McLaughlin did not show up to arrest, Seth Shaw soon he would have to go back to The Raven and play out his undercover role as ship's cook. Abel was very anxious to forgo this experience.

Abel heard Michael call out his name as he tried to find him in the crowd. Turning his head to follow Michael's voice Abel saw two members of The Raven's crew step out from behind some stacked barrels. The thugs ran behind the young constables and jumped them from behind catching them off guard. The struggle ended up with both young men on the ground, motionless. Blood pooled under Estey's head and Cunningham's opened eyes no longer focused; well experience with seeing death Abel knew the poor boys were dead even from this distance. Those in the crowd who noticed the attack, immediately moved away to avoid being drawn into the fight for there was enough drama in their lives this day.

Abel climbed down and ran towards Michael, waving his arms over his head, trying to yell from his voiceless throat—wishing for the millionth time since his childhood injury that he had a voice. Michael was looking at Abel trying to understand what he was conveying when a hefty man scraped by him. Michael paid no notice of him as the man mumbled and dipped his hat, "Sorry, mate."

His concentration focused on Abel and with adrenalin pumping, it took several minutes before Michael registered the pain below his ribs. His hand reached into his jacket to touch his side only to be withdrawn covered in blood.

Finally reaching Michael, Abel caught his body as it dropped to the cobblestones. He gently laid Michael down and shielded his body from what he feared might be another attack. Desperate he looked around for a familiar face to help him.

"There he is, there's the bloody murderer—get him!" Shawn McBride, The Raven's First Mate, shrieked as he jumped out from behind a curtained stall. Citizens and some men from The Raven, armed with clubs came out of nowhere to vent their fear and frustration on Abel. He desperately attempted to ward them off before Shawn stepped forward to deliver a crushing blow to his head. The large black man fell across Michael's body.

Michael was losing his battle to keep conscious but a face was pushing its way into his vision. A grinning Shawn MacBride was looking down at him before the lights went out.

Shawn slipped away quickly as the crowd gathered. He ran across the slip to the wharf where Seth was waiting for him. They spoke for a few minutes with Shawn giving Seth his reassurances that the threat of arrest was not going to happen today.