Chapter Three

In order not to rouse Xi Rei's attention, the fugitives didn't rush day and night to their destination.

After an evening's rest, a camp fire was lit. Smoke danced in the air as the servants prepared breakfast.

Inside a tent, Miao Guang personally exchanged Feng Ming's outfit for a new one. She flattered him with cheeky comments.

'You're becoming more beautiful each time I take a look at you. How can a man be so alluring! I wish I could keep you for myself.'

Feng Ming's heart thumped.

This was something he could take advantage of. If Miao Guang fell in love with him, then he won't fall into Ruo Yan's hands. It was a possible spark.

Miao Guang used her finger to gently tap him on the nose. As if she could see what was going on inside his head. She teased, 'Don't daydream! I won't betray my brother. Even if you were a hundred times more attractive I won't release you back to Xi Rei!

Does she have telepathy too?

The Princess had quickly revealed his plans. He stared at her grudgingly.

Spring had finally arrived in Xi Rei. The plains were now blanketed with fragrant and lush grass. Feng Ming recalled Rong Tian's words as they'd rode White Cloud during winter.

The King had spoken of bright greenery that stretched as far as the eyes could see and it was truly a sight to behold.

With the change of seasons, he was kidnapped by Miao Guang and well on his way out of Xi Rei completely undetected.

He was crushed.

After their morning meal, the group set out again.

Miao Guang ordered her attendants to carry Feng Ming back into the carriage. Once inside she spoke to him sternly, 'I'm advising you to quash any plans for escaping. To tell you the truth, my brother has secretly staked out near the Xi Rei border for a while now. We will be able to meet him within a day. When you tried to escape on my watch, I introduced you to my needles. However, if you try to pull anything in front of my brother you will suffer worst consequences.' 

Seeing no timid reaction from Feng Ming, Miao Guang snorted and stuck out her tongue childishly before helping him with his daily make-up routine.

Just as she was placing the finishing touches the driver abruptly reined in their horse. The momentum was so sudden that it nearly knocked both Miao Guang and Feng Ming out of the carriage.

Miao Guang picked herself up from the ground and stuck out her head between the curtains. 'What happened?' She shouted out.

Hooves beating the ground neared the carriage. It was Cai Si who had rushed over.

Lifting his clasped hands to greet her he quickly advised, 'Princess, we have encountered bandits! Please stay inside the carriage. Cai Si will take men to fend them off.'

Miao Guang's expression soured, 'Could they be the renowned 'Whirlwind' bandits that ransack between the borders of Tong and Xi Rei?'

'It appears so. They've been rumored to be people of Tong, whom specifically target travelers leaving the borders of Xi Rei. Xi Rei has been on the brink of war with Tong over this issue. I'd not expect us to run into them.'

Miao Guang nodded, 'The carriage is vulnerable to attacks, King Ming's safety is foremost. Take him on your horse and have the others on defense. As for our belongings, they aren't important. Let them have it.' She turned back into the enclosed room and supported Feng Ming up onto his feet. She then passed him into Cai Si's reach. Shortly after they mounted the King, violent screams could be heard in the distance.