Chapter One

After the Princess posed the question, Feng Ming thought momentarily over the possibility of a hatching collusion.

He glanced at her, 'Princess, have you ever heard of a man called Cao Cao?'

'Cao Cao?' She obviously would have never heard of the name.

'Cao Cao's most famous phrase, 'I'd rather carry the burden of the people, than let the people bear mine.'

'I'd rather carry the burden of the people, than let the people bear mine?' She repeated with intrigue.

'That's it, actually he was quiet a callous and ambition man, in his lifetime he betrayed countless people. Even when he triumphed and achieved impressive feats, in his passing he was despised by generations. My way of thinking is his exact opposite.'

He spoke with sincerity, 'If I don't have confidence in Princess, the balance of your life could be in my hands. If it turns out to be a scheme between Princess and the King of Li, I rather suffer this outcome knowing that I didn't betray Princess's trust.'

Miao Guang was touched, she trembled.

From her first impressions she thought King Ming was extremely attractive. After several interactions, she could sense that he was well learned but remained naive. More importantly, he was easily duped by a sob story and gobbled bait up. She couldn't but to lower her expectations of him.

But now, his frank and noble manner took her by surprise. It was the first time she had contact with someone who behaved like him.

Who wouldn't admire his self sacrificing attitude towards others?

Her eyes were starting to sting and water began to well in them. Realizing she was losing self-control she turned her head to blink away the tears.

'King Ming's favor, how could I ever repay?'

'Don't consider it as a favor!' he waved his hand dismissively.

'How about we get back on track and discuss about our diversion plan for your pursuers?'

Despite being moved by Feng Ming, she had to carry out her brother's instructions. She gathered her emotions and sat down to strategize with the King.

'Yong Yi has already delivered the gifts from Yong Yin. He will leave the capital today. I agreed to meet him in person the day after tomorrow. I will secretly leave the capital tomorrow. King Ming can act as my body double by adorning my clothes and lead the trail east bound. About twenty li, you will stop at a river. There my aids will prepare a corpse similar to my appearance and deposit it in the river. It will appear as if I had fallen off my horse and drowned.'

Feng Ming clapped, 'That's ingenious! I will draw them towards the corpse. Once there is a corpse there isn't a need to trace your whereabouts. Alas, there remains an issue. Princess you are staying at a consulate, it is heavily guarded. How could you escape without being caught?'

'I have an idea. I will feign illness and retreat to my room and order people not to disturbed my rest. During this time I will make my escape. This excuse would buy me a half hour head start. If King Ming could secretly sneak out of the palace and hide until the soldiers stir, then you can make a run to the east with them hot on your tail.'

She smiled, 'the men chasing you down will be Xi Rei's soldiers, incase they catch you will you be able to manage?'

Feng Ming affirmed, 'They would never lay a finger on me.'

'That's a relief,' she gazed into the King's eyes before reaching into her belt. She produced a small fragrant silk bag often used to carry spices and dried flowers.