Chapter 2 | How to Evade your Mother

Start from the beginning

"Mother, I've something to tell you."

"Ambrosia, leave us." She orders curtly, and I turn around to leave the room.

"No, let her stay." I turn back around again.

"Very well. Tell me what it is."

"Mom, I'm getting married."

Boom.

I expected my mother to shriek at her, to shake some sense into her. To tell her that it wouldn't gain her status, reputation and it wouldn't make her more likeable.

But she just looked at her calmly for a minute before asking,"What does he do?"

"He's a doctor I worked with in Seattle. A Neuro Surgeon." I had to give it to Neave, she managed to say the words without looking like her pet fish had died.

"How old?" Is this some interview or something?

"Thirty." My sister was twenty five. I wanted to shout that she was crazy to get married to a man five years older than her when our mother does something I'd never seen her do in my twenty two years of existence.

She hugged her.

I'm sure my eye balls rolled out of my sockets and landed somewhere around my feet.

"I'm so happy for you, Neave. You've found the perfect man for you."

I had to interrupt her then.

"And how do you know that?"

"You would never understand. Look at your sister, she's a doctor, and has managed to capture a reputed man's heart. What have you ever done?"

"Oh, I'm going to work in a reputed publishing house and make money, probably snare a reputed man myself." I say hautily.

Big mistake.

My mother eyes me from head to toe, but I will myself not to look away. I won't back down now.

"Can you, now? I'll see you and your reputed man at Neave's wedding then, if you manage to find one, that is." She says with a smirk. I nod slightly and turn around to walk out of her room.

"Where are you going?" Neave asks, following me outside.

"New York."

"Wow. You actually managed to get rid of her, didn't you?"

"I did. But I don't think I can find a man to bring to your wedding." Let's just say that I wasn't very experienced in the male department.

"Oh you can. You can bring a dead slug. As long as it's rich, mother won't mind."

We laugh.

"You do love this Surgeon dude, huh?"

"Paul is a sweetheart."

"Of course he is. What did he do? Bring your roses everyday and gave you little letters expressing his deep, pure love for you?"

"Oh my God, yes he did! How did you know?"

I shrug. "I have my ways."

~•~

Hey there!

I don't like her mother. At all. I didn't like her when I was writing her. But she plays an important role in bringing our main characters along, so I have to let her stay.

So yeah, you don't have to wait anymore. Because,

Spoiler: We shall meet our male counterpart in the next chapter.

Yeahhh! Cheer with me! No? Okay.
Press that little star? Yeah? Thanks.

Until next chapter!