I almost faint when he sits down in the empty seat next to me.

I can tell that Hannah is paying close attention, especially as I've never told her what happened between Grant and I. Well, I was going to but then she walked in on something that she wasn't meant to see.

The distinct feel of Professor Hartley's gaze constantly looking over at our reaction only increases the rate at which my heart races.

"I just wanted to say the following, and if you still want nothing to do with me after this, then fair enough, but just listen. Can you do that for me, Quo?" Grant asks, and I can't see past the authenticity in his eyes.

I nod, even though his patronising tone stirs something sickening inside of me.

"I think what you are doing is amazing," he starts, and immediately my eyes widen.

The feeling is reawakened in my body as I look at him, disgusted at the greed for praise that has built in my chest.

"You are so brave to take this chance and sacrifice some things that are important to you in order to do better in this university. I can tell by the way that you are in class that you are a lot more hardworking," he continues, but a swirling feeling begins in my stomach.

"How do you know I'm doing better?" I question, fearing the answer, "And how do you know I'm making certain sacrifices?"

He doesn't have to think very hard to muster up an answer, his ocean blue eyes remaining on mine, "I can see that you're a little slimmer, Quorra."

He goes as far as to pinch my side lightly and comment, "You look better than ever."

I look at myself in the glint of my watch and see nothing but pale skin, pulled slack on bone.

"Thank you."

It comes from me.

"Hey," he suddenly says, smiling once again, "Why don't you stop by my room later on today or tomorrow? I'm planning to brush up on the literature I don't manage to review in class. You down for another tutor session? It might even end up being that you turn into my tutor," he laughs.

I don't hear any malice in his tone.

"Alright," I agree.

He beams wider before getting up, "Awesome. See you later, Quo."

I can't do anything but nod blankly, a storm of emotions destroying my rationality as I turn back to my desk.

I look down, lost. What just happened?

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

The duvet suffocates me as I sit, stark straight, in bed.

The only light that invades the room is from the small lamp sitting on the table. The pin drop silence pierces right through me.

I don't know why I'm still awake. I feel as if I can't sleep because it's only evening, but I'm utterly exhausted. I don't have energy in my body anymore.

Professor Hartley isn't back yet. His side of the room, neat and tidy as always, is impeccably untouched.

Thoughts of Grant plague my mind. Do I go? He seemed like he understood me, like so few people do nowadays. Does he really care now?

At that, the door cracks open and a bold yellow light infiltrates the entrance. The unforgettable outline of my English professor follows right after.

"Hello," he greets, the door shutting behind him with a click! that carries a sense of finality.

"Hey," I reply, perhaps a second too fast.