Chapter 26: Coffee

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Eve. Yes, it's good to see you too! I'm doing fine, how are you?" I respond sarcastically with an eye roll.

"I'm serious!" she exclaims. "Wasting precious time, here."

I take a deep breath to tell my story. "So, as you know, Sherlock came with me to the Gala last night as my fake date to get Leonardo off my back."

"And I heard that you two were a hit," she interrupts. "First Dance winners, congratulations. You're the talk of the Symphony group chat."

"Wait, there's a Symphony group chat?"

"That's not relevant, continue."

"And, hold on a second, where were you last night? I thought attendance was mandatory?"

"I had a date with a rich lawyer that I was definitely not breaking, I'm sure no one even noticed I wasn't there. Now please. Continue."

"So Sherlock, who is usually so rude and cold-well, you know, you've met him-was an ideal fake boyfriend last night. Opening doors for me, escorting me into the venue, helping me into my chair. And then we had that amazing dance. Eve, it was magical. Sherlock is such a fantastic dancer, I felt like I was floating..." I feel myself start to gush, but I stop myself. "After our dance, so many people came to congratulate us, and he wasn't rude and didn't deduce any of them."

"Sounds perfect," Eve adds.

"It really was. Of course, I kept reminding myself that it was all fake. And it served its purpose. Leonardo made a pass at me, but Sherlock came to my rescue," I lie. I can't tell her the truth about Leonardo and our case. "Afterwards, we decided to go to a salsa dancing. We took a few shots of tequila..."

Eve leans forward. "Ah, wonderful lowered inhibitions thanks to our good friend alcohol. I like where this is going. Sex in the bathroom at the club?"

I laugh. "Hardly! We danced, though it definitely got more sensual as the night progressed and we ingested more liquor and he got better at salsa. And let me tell you Eve, he looked damn sexy. Untucked shirt, a few buttons undone, my thoughts definitely weren't clean."

"I don't blame you," she responds. "He's hot."

"So after ingesting about six shots of tequila and dancing for hours, we finally head home. As soon as we get there, it was like Sherlock flipped the switch and he returned to being his usual surly self, no more polite or caring fake boyfriend. When I called him on it, he reminded me that it was all fake and served the purpose of deterring Leonardo, but that he knew I wanted more."

"How did he figure that out?"

"Oh, just wait until I tell you. You know he's practically a genius, right?" Eve nods. "Well, this whole time I've known him, he's been discreetly taking my pulse when he has physically come into contact with me to determine if my heart rate increases, thus proving I have feelings for him."

"Sneaky bastard!" Eve exclaims.

"Right?"

"Well, it's kind of romantic, I guess. In a creepy, nerdy, genius kind of way."

"Well, it pissed me off. And in my drunken stupor, I decided to try and best the genius by doing the same thing to him. I should have known I can't outsmart him."

Eve sits back in her chair. "Well? What happened?"

I sigh. "I took his pulse while..." Pause. "I tried to get his pulse to elevate..." Pause. "By kissing him." I finally reveal.

Eve laughs. "And? Did it work?"

"I think so. At first, it was just a peck on the lips and his pulse didn't change at all. When I kissed him a little longer, he didn't even kiss me back, but I thought his pulse had increased a little. So when I went in for a third time, Sherlock leaned in and he kissed me!"