UNIT

John was always in his bookstore called the Timeless Lord of Books. He never seemed to age, just like his wife. They watched their town grow. Children would ask for his stories as he was the best storyteller in the town. The visitors only ever asked about his health or other silly things. Jack was always over. He would bring gifts, fix broken things that John had tinkered with and was like a son to the couple. They showered him with parental love and advise. When the Brigadier visited for the first time, Jack was the one to answer the door.
"Smith residence. How can I... Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart. What brings you to this humble abode?" Jack asked coldly, not wanting to loose the two people he had come to think of as family.
"I wanted to meet John Smith. I know who he is and I wanted to check on him. His wife also needs to sign these papers so that they can have the salary we pay him for working for us, Harkness." Brigadier States in his fashion.
"Fine. Just don't expect her to be tame. She may threaten you or she may just smile." Jack warned before leading him through the home to the kitchen, where John and River were making breakfast.
"Oh, hello! Do I know you? Of course I know you! I can't quite remember your name but you do look familiar. River, doesn't he look familiar? Oh no. I burned the eggs." John rambled as his attention drifted. River only smiled and offered her hand to the newcomer.
"Hello, I am Dr. River Song Smith. You may call me River. That is my husband, Dr. John Smith. He specializes in mathematics, history, and tactical theory. I am an archeologist and we both write books about our fields. I assume that you are with UNIT and have come to talk about his employment before the unfortunate accident that took his memory?" River was formal and polite but her eyes warned him not to cross her.
"Yes Ma'am. May we step into another room to discuss some matters while your husband... does whatever he appears to be doing?" Brigadier asked. River nodded and led the way to her study, leaving Jack to deal with whatever mess her husband undoubtedly was starting.
"Jack! So glad to see you! Help me fix the stove, will you? It appears to have started to heat on its own." John muttered. Jack laughed.
"Of course, Dad." They started to fix the stove while John babbled to Jack about the most random of things.
Meanwhile, River and the Brigadier were discussing plans for the employment of the couple. River agreed, having only locked the knowledge that John was the Doctor from Gallifrey, a Time Lord, and anything about the Tardis away in the locket that was in the attic. She explained that he knew they were not from Earth but were sent here to protect it by someone that she trusted with her life and to live here until a threat passed.
"He didn't want to destroy them. He is showing them mercy. In 50 years, we will open the locket and leave. Until then, we will work for UNIT." River agreed. All of the UNIT staff would know that he was the Doctor and she was his wife. They would all know but he would not know that he could save the world with only a sentence. The Brigadier left and hour after talking with the eccentric Doctor John and could not help but smile as he returned to base. The Doctor was safe and sound and he would remain that way.
Sullivan was shocked when a young man with terrible dress taste walked into his bay, explaining that he needed a physical to be able to start working.
"The Brigadier told me that you are now my primary care physician. I'll just warn you now, I have two hearts and am not human. I'm Doctor John Smith. Many people just call me the Doctor. Not sure why but it feels right." John said before muttering something about wanting jelly babies while Sullivan set the equipment up. He had dropped some equipment at the name but John hadn't noticed. After the physical and John explaining everything was normal, Sullivan hugged the man.
"Missed you, Doctor. Don't tell Sarah that I said that or hugged you."
"Alrighty. Which way to the labs? Oh, hello again, Bennit. Sorry to have lost you but I was bored and didn't want to wait any longer." The Doctor definitely didn't change in that regard.
"Labs are this was, sir. Your wife is waiting there for you. She doesn't look to thrilled." Bennit warned as he led the Doctor to the labs. UNIT was never going to be the same again. Jack spent the weekend, Mondays, and Wednesdays with the couple who had legally adopted him and watched out for all the Doctor's companions as they returned from their adventures. Never once did either Doctor Smith run into the other regenerations of the Doctor.