7║the way they enhance

Start from the beginning

        All at once, all my feeling began rising to the surface and I felt unable to control them so in a weak attempt to desert them, I began shuffling to the end of the seat. Stephan grabbed my hand gently and tugged on it, pulling me back.

        "Stay?" he asked, smiling as I turned around to look at him.

        I sniffled slightly, the tears refusing to come out. I stood still for a moment, Stephan's warm hands sending fuzzy sensations through my body. I mentally thanked my mind and shuffled back onto my seat, my hand still on Stephan's. We both just sat there in silence, him squeezing my hand every couple of seconds in an attempt to regain my attention but my eyes never moved from the ground.

        "I guess you most probably hate my guts right now... me being one of 'populars'."

        I couldn't possibly hate him but I couldn't look at him either. People say that it's harder to tell a convincing lie to someone you find physically attractive. I thought it was complete rubbish and that people were brainstorming without experiencing things but I guess it was true. I couldn't look him in the eye nor say anything to him because it would all be lies. If I said I hated him, it'd be a lie. If I said I wouldn't flee with him the moment he asked, it would be a lie.

        If I said I didn't love him, it would be a lie.

        "I don't hate you," I uttered hastily without looking at him once. Several images flashed across my brain and my mind held habitat to curiosity once again. "You still haven't explained the purpose of these tests to me yet."

        I reached over, grabbing the bottle of gold nail polish Esther had unknowingly left behind and unscrewed the lid, beginning the process of flourishing my own nails with a colour which blended in with my attire.

        Stephan smacked his forehead, leaning forward as if eager to reveal all the details. "Well, it's pretty simple really. You were tested on three things: the way your mind actually worked, your ability to save someone and your physical and emotional strength.

        "You instantaneously passed the first test because you decided to stay and discover more of what we were talking about rather than leaving straight away. That gave us an insight as to how strong your mind was and the way in which you thought about things. You passed the second test when you saved Esther from the fire, as - "

        "How was it that she didn't get burned but I did?" I asked, interrupting him. It had been whizzing around in my mind ever since it had happened.

        "It was a fake fire. Well, it was created by a device - the fire was real. A device that was made for war but was quickly quarantined once the government realised it was made in the perfection division." Stephan ran a hand through his hair, glancing out the window every few seconds. "Esther was in fact stood behind the fire, hence why she didn't get burned at all. Imagine the fire as a wall, she can't get burned if she is behind it but if she stepped into it, it would do her harm.

        "The actual agreement we came to with Esther was that she would immediately switch off the device - via a remote - once you'd dived into it but she decided to have a little fun and for that I really want to apologise. I didn't know she would go that far."

        "Its fine, its Esther, what more can you expect?" I commented.

        "That was why you passed the test. We were examining you on your ability to save someone, especially someone you dislike or hate."

        I rolled my eyes, smirking as I pictured Esther in my head and all the thoughts that came of doing illegal things to her to bring out my distaste.