7║the way they enhance

Comenzar desde el principio

        I desperately wanted to take the words back but at the same time, I wanted to show Esther that I wasn't just another one of her victims. I was tired of being pushed around by people who held higher social superiority over me. After all, it was status, why did it even matter to people like her?

        "How da - "

        "It's only because people adored what you were doing - those very few - and began worshipping your every move and decision, fulfilling your every whim and command," I interrupted, filling the air with my ravenous thoughts which were desperate to be free, to contaminate the air.

        Esther sat there in silence, looking at me with a look which held the purpose of questioning my sanity. She opened her mouth to speak but I seized the moment before she could.

        "You demand everything and everyone's attention. Well I'm sorry, I'm just not prepared to give it to an overbearing individual like you." I ran a hand through my air, contemplating whether to stop talking but it was as if my mind had had enough of the constant silence and restriction of open thoughts. "After all, at the end of the day, we're all monsters but you're just something new."

        Esther's expression twisted and contorted and Stephan chuckled his seat, swiftly turning his head away as Esther snapped her head around, glaring at him. After she averted her gaze from him, she just stared out the window. Her countenance held no fixed, determinable emotion so it was hard to perceive what she was feeling. She seemed to be a master at concealing her emotions. For a second, her facial expression altered but changed almost suddenly into a smirk at something that possibly caught her eye outside.

        After a few moments of silence and Stephan attempting to keep his laugh under control, Esther stood up, brushed herself off and slipped away without saying another word.

        Stephan burst out laughing as soon as she was out of sight, unable to control it any further. "Oh... god... Fleur...," he uttered between laughs, his face growing into a mixture of red and pink. After a few moments of laughing, he breathed heavily, attempting to keep himself calm after the spectacle he had witnessed. "I didn't expect that from you."

        I really didn't expect it from myself either. There was this unusual feeling that was brewing inside me, refusing to rest until it was attended to and fixed. I was finally getting my chance to obtain the one thing I had spent the majority of my life craving for and for a split-second of time, my mind refused to let any of Esther's insults ring true; it feared that it would lead to the group disowning me and my uncontrollable desire for perfection. I was being foolish for thinking that any insult from Esther was going to bombard my future plans and ambitions for perfection but my mind felt differently thus a sudden defensive feeling filled the empty cracks, drowning out my weaknesses.

        "Fleur?" Stephan called, pulling me away from my thoughts. "Are you okay?"

        "I'm fine, I guess. I'm just tired of 'popular' people. Who on this earth says that the more social superiority you have, the more beautiful and better you are than any living being that breathes?" I paused, allowing my brain the chance to breathe. "Who says that these degraded beings are better suited for the perfection division?"

        I sighed, glancing out the window. I needed to show whoever crossed my path that I was just as able at achieving perfection as they were and that was especially meant for Esther. I felt challenged, physically and emotionally and it was my personal duty to show that being popular didn't instantly throw you into perfection. I could be just as perfect as they think they are, whether popularity crossed the question or not, whether I was suited or not.