I could feel the rough texture of the oak tree's bark beneath my fingers, breathe in the crisp juniper and pine, see the gentle golden glistening of witch hazel along the edge of the ravine.

Were there details I was missing? An odd sound I heard as I strolled along the quiet path, dismissing it as unimportant at the time? A glimmer of something that didn't quite belong?

Kathy chuckled in amusement. "That smitten with him already, are you?"

I flushed, looking up and smiling. "I apologize, my mind had wandered ... but, yes, there is definitely something about Jason that calls to my soul."

The corner of her mouth tweaked into a smile. "So, serious?"

I tapped a finger on the edge of my glass in thought. "I know people talk about falling in love at first sight, but I think I need more than that. I know I, myself, have layers and complexities. I would hesitate to think that someone could draw in everything I am in one quick glance. I would hope that the man I am drawn to has just as many facets to him; that it would take proper time to absorb them all."

Kathy nodded. Her deep plum sweater shifted as she moved. "I imagine at first glance you could get a fair sense of character," she agreed. "You could see if he snaps at a waitress, makes a racist comment, or his car is peppered with bumper stickers promoting causes you are strongly against. But you're right, you wouldn't know at a glance if all of the delicate inner workings align properly with yours."

I smiled. "Certainly after two weeks I can tell we're generally compatible. We both adore nature. He is compassionate toward others, understanding, intelligent, and patient." I took a sip of my Prosecco. "I'm sure that for some people that is enough to call it a good match. We all have different expectations in life. Not too long ago, many women would be happy to find a man who held a steady job and didn't beat her at night."

The waiter came by with our appetizers. My carpaccio looked delicious, with rich, pink meat and shaves of cheese. Kathy's goat cheese dish was served in a fist-sized ceramic pot of candy-apple-red, complete with matching lid.

Kathy took a bite and smiled in delight. "This is really good," she enthused. Then her eyes came back to mine. "I imagine, when women first won the vote, they were thrilled beyond belief to finally have achieved that victory. I also imagine that by the time the fifties came around, women of that era were blasé about that hard-won privilege. I'm sure some didn't even bother to vote because they were too busy driving their kids around to sports and arranging dinner parties for their husbands. They lost sight of how far they had come in life."

"I wonder what the women of the sixties would think of us now," I sighed, taking a forkful of my carpaccio. "There they were, burning their bras, fighting to attain equal rights with men. Eileen wanted to change the world, making movies about racial equality and inspirational women."

I shook my head. "Now, forty years later, our young women are anorexic, caking their faces with make-up, cramming their feet into stiletto heels, and posting naked photos of themselves on Twitter. Rather than caring about equal representation and glass ceilings, they are obsessed with acquiring breast implants and hiding any sign of wrinkles or aging."

"It does seem that women often strive to reach an imaginary ideal that few can achieve," agreed Kathy.

I thought of the many beautiful, brilliant women in my life who were larger-than-average and who were penalized as a result. "I can only hope that these issues in society are cyclical," I mused. "It was not that long ago, culturally speaking, where the generous curves of Rubens paintings were thought to be an ideal in health. An ample body size represented fertility and womanhood. Maybe we reached a 'low point' in the late sixties with the emaciated stick-figures of Twiggy and, later, Kate Moss. Maybe we are now on an up-trend from that and over time we will become more and more appreciative of a naturally full woman's form."