Chapter 2: The Professor's House

Third Person's POV

The next day, to say the least, was not great.

Katerina was on the floor, playing with her stuffed bear that her parents got her on her third birthday. It was her favourite object in the whole world.

Lucy was looking out the window, watching as rain drops trailed down the outside of it, Edmund was under a chair fixing a leg, and Peter and Susan were playing a really boring game

"Gastrovascular. Come on, Peter. Gastrovascular." Susan spoke, holding a large dictionary in her hands. "Is it Latin?" Peter asked, sounding as bored as their siblings were listening to the game. "Yes." Susan answered.

"Is it Latin for 'worst game ever invented?'"Edmund asked, getting out from underneath the chair, making Katerina giggle. Susan slammed the dictionary shut, clearly annoyed.

"We could play hide and seek?" Lucy suggested, walking over to Peter. Katerina followed behind her and then stood next to her sister at the arm of Peter's chair.

"But we're already having so much fun." Peter said sarcastically, shooting a look towards Susan, who gave him a dirty look back.

"Come on, Peter, please." Lucy spoke and Katerina joined in on giving him the puppy eyes. The youngest girl hadn't thought of playing that game, but now that it was suggested, she wanted to do it. Anything was better than what they were currently doing.

"Please?" Katerina asked in her cutest child-like voice. After looked at his youngest sisters for a moment, Peter knew he couldn't say no to them. "One, two, three, four..." Peter started counting and the two girls broke into grins as Edmund complained, "What?"

Peter stood up and closed his eyes, facing a wall, continuing to count as his siblings all evacuated the room, searching for a place to hide.

At first, Katerina was following Lucy as she looked for a place to hide. She followed her out the door, down some steps, up a different staircase and into a hallway. Lucy went to hide behind a curtain in the hallway, but Edmund pushed her out of the way and stole the spot Lucy was just about to take.

"I was here first!" Edmund lied and Lucy huffed at him before running off again. Katerina didn't follow her this time as she found a closet across the hall from the curtain Edmund was now hiding behind, so she hid in the closet.

About a minute later, Peter had finished counting and was approaching the hallway, when Lucy ran into the hall, yelling, "It's all right! I'm back! I'm all right!"

Confused, Katerina stepped out of the closet as Edmund peaked his head out form behind the curtain. "Shut up! He's coming!" Edmund told her, but it was too late, Peter had come into the hallway and seen all three of them.

"You know, I'm not quite sure you three have got the idea of this game." Peter spoke to his youngest siblings. Edmund was clearly annoyed as he huffed and came out from behind the curtains.

"Weren't you wondering where I was?" Lucy asked and Katerina just looked up at her, confused. Even the six-year-old understood that that was the whole point of the game.

"That's the point. That's why he was seeking you." Edmund told her as Susan entered the hall and came to a stop beside Peter. "Does this mean I win?" Susan asked her siblings with a smile.

"I don't think Lucy wants to play anymore." Peter said, glancing over at Susan before looking back at Lucy. "I've been gone for hours." Lucy told them and they all looked at her, confused. Hours? They had just seen her not even a minute ago.

Lucy led her siblings to a spare room that had a wardrobe in it as she told them about how she went to a magical land called Narnia, through the wardrobe.

Susan inspected the inside of the wardrobe, knocking on the back of it while Edmund did the same thing, but on the outside. "Lucy, the only wood in here is the back of the wardrobe." Susan told her.

"One game at a time, Lu. We don't all have your imagination." Peter said and the three oldest siblings started to walk away, while Katerina stayed where she was standing next to Lucy.

"But I wasn't imagining!" Lucy cried out, and they all turned around. "That's enough Lucy." Susan said with a warning tone. But Lucy wasn't going to back down that easily.

"I wouldn't lie about this!" Lucy exclaimed, desperate for her siblings to believe her, as Edmund walked forward towards his younger sisters.

"Well, I believe you." Edmund said and Katerina scrunched her face up in confusion. Out of all her siblings, Edmund was the one who they usually had the most trouble getting him to agree with the rest of them.

"You do?" Lucy questioned, thinking the same as Katerina. "Yeah, of course. Didn't I tell you about the football field in the bathroom cupboards?" Edmund joked, but his siblings were not in the mood for it. Lucy looked like she was about to cry and Peter just looked done with Edmund.

"Oh, will you just stop? You just have to make everything worse, don't you?" Peter said with annoyance clear in his voice. "It was just a joke!" Edmund spoke defensively.

"When are you going to learn to grow up?" Peter asked Edmund, almost scoffing. "Shut up! You think you're Dad, but you're NOT!" Edmund screamed in Peter's face, before he stormed out of the room. Katerina flinched when Edmund screamed. She really hated when her siblings were angry.

Susan gave Peter a look. "Well, that was nicely handled." She said sarcastically before following Edmund out of the room.

"But, it really was there." Lucy told Peter, hoping that she could at least get her oldest brother to believe her. "Susan's right, Lucy. That's enough." Peter said and left the room, leaving just Lucy and Katerina.

Lucy walked back to the wardrobe and sadly closed its door. Katerina followed her and tugged on her dress, making Lucy look down at her. "I believe you." Katerina told her, bringing her back from the edge of crying.

"Really?" Lucy asked with a hopeful expression and Katerina nodded. She trusted her siblings more than anyone, so she didn't consider the possibility that Lucy wasn't telling the truth, even if their other siblings didn't believe her.

"Thanks, Kat." Lucy told her sister before sitting on the floor, patting the floor in front of her, motioning for the six-year-old to sit down. Katerina complied, and Lucy proceeded to spend hours telling her about Narnia. Katerina hung on her every word.

But before they knew it, it was bedtime, so they got ready for bed and then climbed into their beds.

"Goodnight, Lu." Katerina whispered to her sister. "Goodnight, sis. Thanks for believing me." Lucy responded quietly, making the youngest girl smile softly. "You're my big sister," Katerina said simply as if that explained everything, before she closed her eyes and soon fell asleep.