Chapter 1: The Bombs

Third Person's POV

Katerina Pevensie was sobbing as she hid under the blankets on her small bed. You see, the six-year-old could hear planes approaching in the air, which made the girl quite frightened.

She didn't fully understand the situation that the world was currently in, but she knew that the planes caused pain and suffering and death, and that they made her family scared and panicked, so they did the same for her.

The young girl squeezed her eyes shut as she sobbed, wishing that her family was there with her to protect her. As if the universe heard her wish and granted it, her older brother Peter ran into the room.

"Kat!" Peter exclaimed, rushing to the side of his little sister's bed. Katerina pushed the blankets off of her and Peter didn't hesitate to pick her up into his arms before rushing out of the room towards the back door.

As they approached the back door they saw that their mother Helen, their sisters Susan and Lucy, and their brother Edmund were all already rushing out the door, though Edmund seemed hesitant like he wanted to go back.

The family ran out the door, down the small path towards their bomb shelter. Explosions were heard all around them and one particularly close one made Katerina let out a frightened scream.

Helen and the two older girls were in front with Edmund and then Peter (with Katerina in his arms) taking up the rear. Suddenly, Edmund turned around and started back towards the house, yelling, "Wait! Dad!"

"Ed!" Peter tried to grab onto his jumper to stop his younger brother from running back towards the house, but wasn't able to with his sister in his arms, which left Edmund able to run towards the house.

"Edmund, no!" Helen shouted but he didn't listen. Quickly, Peter put his sister down and gently but firmly pushed her towards their mother before turning around and running after his brother. "I'll get him!" Peter shouted back towards his family.

"Come back!" Katerina shouted with wide eyes, terrified now that her brothers were leaving her. Helen put a hand on her youngest daughter's back and led her inside the shelter, needing her youngest daughter to be safe.

Katerina could hear her quickened heartbeat and she subconsciously stopped breathing as she waited for her brothers to come back. In reality, it wasn't even a full minute, but to her it seemed like an eternity before Helen stuck her head out of the shelter and yelled, "Come on! Hurry!"

Then Edmund was falling into the makeshift bed on the floor next to Katerina, Peter entering the shelter right behind him. "Why can't you think of anyone but yourself? You're so selfish! You could've got us killed!" Peter shouted at his brother who was clutching a photograph of their dad.

"Stop it!" Helen exclaimed, making Peter stop his rant, as she brought Edmund in for a hug. "It's okay. Shh." She murmured comforting words to her youngest son.

"Why can't you just do what you're told?" Peter questioned Edmund before shutting the shelter door, plunging the room into darkness.

Katerina couldn't see well at all – from both the darkness and the tears that consistently welled up in her eyes before falling just for new tears to form – but she felt the blankets move as Edmund moved back from their mother's grasp and just sat on the makeshift bed with his back against the wall.

Still unable to see, Katerina shifted so she was sitting next to her brother, tears streaming down her cheeks. Edmund could hear Katerina's quiet sobs and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his chest and allowing her to sob into him, which she then proceeded to do for quite a long time.