Eight

I took a deep breath and pushed open the front door of my house, my keys jingling in my palm. I told my mom I had to stay after school for a club meeting to avoid the detention talk, but I knew it was time to come clean.

"How was club?" My mom asked making me jump.

"Uh." I stammered. This was now or never. "I was in detention. My science partner and I got into a debate over a question so he looked it up on his phone, and I tried to get him to stop, but he wasn't listening, because he's stubborn, and Mr. Noonan gave us detention! I finished all my homework though, I'm sorry." I stumbled over my words, slurring slightly. I probably sounded drunk.

"Okay." My mom said.

"What?"

"I don't see why that's that big of an issue. You've never had a detention before, and we all know your science teacher is a loon anyway." She explained.

"What? You're not mad?" I asked.

"I'm not mad, but that doesn't excuse you from consequences. This is not to happen again. If it does, there will be far worse of a punishment. I wouldn't have said anything, if you hadn't lied to me to start off with. Give me your car keys, and your father and I will discuss how long you will be exempt from them." She held out her hand. I thought I had gotten away with it, but apparently not.

"But,"

"Do you really want to make it worse for yourself?" She challenged. I reluctantly handed her the keys. She began walking away to the kitchen, probably to get a knife and slaughter me. Or water. That seemed like a better reason.

"Mom?" I asked.

"Yes?"

"I'm having friendship problems, and I don't really want to go into detail with them, but I'm supposed to meet Ashton and Katherine later at Ashton's house. Can I please go?" I clasped my hands together. The expression on her face was filled with annoyance as she sighed dramatically.

"Be back by 6:30, and be ready to have a family discussion with your father. Leave your homework on the table, so we can make sure it's really complete. I saw your assignments online." She sighed, running her fingers through her hair. I thought for sure my mom was going to throw a fit, but I guess she was getting tired of my crap. I rushed to get my homework on the table, then grabbed my purse and headed out the door.

I was glad the lie slipped from my lips with ease. I wasn't supposed to meet Ashton and Katherine, but I had a feeling they were already together. I remembered Luke's words, and I remembered the betrayal I felt when I found out they weren't being honest with me. I really didn't have an issue with them having relations, I was just upset, mainly at Katherine, for not telling me. I told Katherine everything, down to every detail. I deserved the same from her. Ashton was more closed off about his romantic life, and always had been. He was a boy, so he was excused. Not only did I plan to confront them, but I also wanted to know if Ashton's 'gay' rumor would be fixed. I would probably ask that first, to clear the air. Then confrontation would take place.

Calum and Michael were not in their usual places on the porch. I almost smiled. Almost. They weren't as bad as I thought they were, just misunderstood by me. Ashton had told me they were tolerable to work with, but they didn't talk much to him. I guess that had something to do with their interesting past in Australia that Luke had mentioned previously, when he ran into me on the sidewalk that one day. I automatically looked down at my hand; I wasn't carrying a drink this time, so if I somehow managed to bump into him again, my shirt would be safe from harm.

I sighed when I reached the front door of Ashton's house. I really didn't want to bust them in the act, but if I did, they wouldn't know Luke had caught them. I had to protect Luke. He had been nothing but honest with me from the start, a trait that was honestly lacking in my life recently. Not to mention, the wrath from Katherine would probably be unbearably painful for Luke. This was it, I had to go inside. I said a brief hello to Ms. Irwin when she opened the door, giving her a light hug a I usually did. She told me Katherine and Ashton were in the basement trying to do their homework without me.