The Right Leg

It was only supposed to be a day's walk from the cottage back to town. But the rainstorm had come unexpectedly and suddenly and Allen was already far too cold and tired to make the trek back. Shaking and pale, the yellow haired boy pulled his cloak closer around his soaked body. Each step was a challenge. A stumbling motion of stepping down, and pulling his foot out from the muddy puddle. Dirt coated his boots and legs, splattered across his coat and shorts. Allen cried out as he placed one hand on the bark of a tree to stabilize him in the torrents of rain. Gentle sobs escaped his mouth as he regathered himself. A deep breath, and then another step. 

Rapid breaths and a speeding heartbeat. A lack of numbing adrenaline but anxiety pouring on to the pain. A fear that he wouldn't make it back to see his mother and father alive. But then there was a light- a breakthrough in the storm. Allen could see the warm yellow glow just beyond the trees. And he knew there was hope.

By the time Allen stepped under the protection of the giant stone mansion's entryway, he was coughing up rainwater, lying broken on the front steps. Through the massive garden the boy ran and ran. Past the roses and the maze, under the stone arches and past the eery graveyard of crosses and dying flowers. 

Allen's mud covered boots had begun to tear and wear away at the toe and heel, exposing reddened skin and dirty blisters. And he sword his leg had been twisted at an odd angle, due to the aching soreness each time he tried to stand. Allen reached up and rubbed the rain from his eyes. Mud smeared across his cheeks, but his vision cleared and he was able to stand and with all the strength left in his body slam his knuckles into the great wooden doors. 

For a moment Allen thought maybe this was it. Freeze to death on the steps of a house long forgotten by time. There were no lanterns on the porch. Only cobwebs in the corners. For a moment he thought he would die here. 

The doors opened. 

A flood of warm light touched Allen's face. The silhouette of a young girl cast the only shadow from inside. "Please. Come in." Her voice melted into the air like chocolate. "Welcome to my mansion."

Like an angel she reached out to him, grasping his trembling hand and guiding him into the warmth of the mansion. Behind Allen, the doors swung shut with a gentle thud. The sounds of rain stopped. Allen barely had the focus to look up to her, his head swung down and focused at her feet. High heels. Black. A cat rubbed against her. He didn't have a front right leg.

"What happened to you, dear?" Concern flooded her dulcet voice. "It's so cold outside... you're welcome to stay.." she drew a hand across his shoulder. Allen moved his eyes up to meet hers, taking in all the details of her face. Bright eyes, a mossy green shimmering with feeling. Golden hair framing a slender face, short and sleek held in place with a couple of jet black hair clips. She looked ready for a ball. A short black dress, open sleeves held loosely together with crossed ribbon. There was a sash around her waist, barely noticeable against the dark colors. But Allen was focused on her eyes as she spoke. Entrancing, elegant. "Please, make yourself comfortable." She extended a hand to the stairs directly across from the entry. Allen hurried to regain composure. Straightening his posture and pulling down his hood he gave her a curt bow. 

"Thank you, miss.." Allen rose. "For your kindness. I won't be much burden, If you'd just grant me a bed until morning..." he felt a bit unsure speaking to her, like she could turn the conversation any way she wanted. 

"You're welcome as long as you'd like." 

The cat beside her legs let out a meow.