Part 7

The two girls walked along the road together in the mid day light. It was Sunday, and they would have to return to school the next day. As they neared Cordelia's street, Misty stopped and looked at Cordelia. "It... It is ok that...that I stay here... Right?" She asked, her voice cracking. "Of course Misty. My mother isn't going to be home for a while, so you can stay as long as you want." Cordelia answered with a smile on the face. Misty faked a smile, looking at Cordelia, nodded and looked down as they kept walking. The two girls eventually reached Cordelia's house, and they went in. The air was still and all was silent until Cordelia spoke. "Misty do you want some lunch?" Misty jolted up and nodded rapidly. "Can, can I just use the bathroom?" She asked Cordelia. Cordelia pointed her in the right direction, and misty stepped into the small room. She slid down the door to sit in a sort if fetal position, and put her hands to her throbbing head. She thought about her mother, Cordelia, school, and even her father. Without realizing it, tears streamed down her face and she reached to the scars on her wrist. She subconsciously picked at them and was shaking, unable to stop thinking about everything, and it felt like the world was crashing in on her. Suddenly, a sharp knock on the door jolted her out of this spell. "Misty! Open up! Are you ok? Misty! Please!" it was Cordelia. Misty quickly got up and unlocked the door, not even remembering locking it in the first place. Cordelia opened the finally unlocked door to a mess of misty. Her eyeliner had run and had been smudged across her face. Her wrist was bleeding, the scars had been picked at. She looked frazzled and scared; almost lost. She was shaking and crying. "Misty, oh misty. Come here." Cordelia said as she took Misty's hand in hers and led her to her room. "Here, wait, go ahead, get changed first." Cordelia continued as Misty got into her night gown and sat down on the bed. Cordelia went into the bathroom and got a face cloth and wiped the blood off of Misty's wrists. She got another wet cloth and cleaned the eyeliner and tears off of her face, then said, "Misty, you lay down here, and I'll go get you some food. Please just stay here." Cordelia hurried down the stairs and got some food together, then brought it back up. Meanwhile, misty had been lost in her thoughts. When she saw Cordelia at first after she had seen her mother, it was all fight or flight. Now, it had worn off, and she felt a dull pain in the pit of her stomach, and shards of ice floating through her veins. Her mother had hurt her so terribly, and said that she should leave. Should she leave? Leave to where? Leave the house, this city? This state? This life? Anything that was an escape would be better than where she was. Thank god she had Cordelia; Misty had decided that if it weren't for her, she herself would be dead: either killed by her mother, or killed by herself. Killed by herself. That sounded like a nice idea. If it was really true about God and all that, would she go to heaven? Even hell would be better than this life. When Cordelia had returned, she gave Misty some hot soup and a couple of crackers, along with a glass of water. Misty tried her best to eat it, but she couldn't bring herself to more than a few bights. Her stomach tossed and turned, and all she wanted to do was sleep. "Misty, you have to eat something, please." Cordelia begged her. Misty, unable to fathom her thoughts into words, just nodded and picked up the spoon. She got another couple of spoonfuls in, but then suddenly put her spoon down. Cordelia sat down on the edge of the bed and put her hand on Misty's. "Misty, what's bothering you?" She asked, looking directly into Misty's tear filled eyes. "I... My mama... She... And.... I, I just can't take it anymore De I just want to die or sleep or just feel something other than this pain. No matter how hard i try, it doesn't go away. It hasn't since I was little, sitting in the dark closet by myself, listening to my mama and who ever her bed mate that night was, screamin and yellin. The next day she'd be terrible, and her 'friend' gone. I just need a way out De." Misty spoke in a hurry. Cordelia squeezed Misty's hand and said, "Misty. Its ok. This can be your escape." She leaned in and kissed the blonde girl, reassuring her everything would be all right.