Part 4

It was a notable number of hours later, and misty was sitting in the hollow of the tree by herself, playing with the leaves and rubbing her wrist. She gazed out at the bayou and river along the forest and felt herself wanting to cry. She wished Cordelia was here with her. She wished Cordelia had been with her. Had stayed for twenty more minutes. Or forever. She wished that Cordelia and her could just run away- from all of the hurt and pain. Their mothers didn't care- they couldn't. Cordelia's mother had obviously hit her, and Misty's mom probably wouldn't care if she didn't come home that night. Misty got up and walked until she got to the banks of the river. She sat down and began tracing small drawings in the mud. The mud was cool- a noticeable contrast to the air. Misty took some and rubbed it on one of her scars. The stinging sensation immediately ceased, and was replaced by a cool, sort of healing feeling. Misty put some more on, and by the time she washed the mud off, her scars had seemed to fade. Misty was astonished- their seemed to be something magic in the ground. She had heard rumors- but it couldn't be true. Misty, thinking herself delusional, stood up and started home. Walking through the trees, she spotted a small bird on the ground. It lay there, twitching, so helpless and miserable. Misty bent down and looked at it. She picked it up and brought it close to her. All of a sudden, the bird was well again. It chirped up and flew away. Misty backed up a few steps. What had she done? Why had this happened? Spooked about what happened, misty ran all the way home.
~
Cordelia had been down all day. Misty was so kind. So beautiful. She never deserved this life. She deserved a beautiful life- with wonderful parents and a better friend than Cordelia. What could lead misty- unbreakably optimistic misty to do such a thing? They had talked about the terrible depression that they both seemed to suffer from, but what could've pushed misty into it? What could've pushed her over the edge to hurt herself? Cordelia was sitting in her room, trying to study. School didn't seem very worth it. Neither did life, unless misty was around. The world around her was full of hurt, and it was only fair that she hurt too. All of a sudden, Cordelia heard a knock on her door. "Yes?" She said. Her mother walked in to Cordelia's spacious white room. "Listen, Delia. I'm going on a trip again. Won't be back for a while. It's... Business. You're on your own until I get back." Her mother told her. "When will that be?" Cordelia responded. All of a sudden a storm of anger flooded into her mother. "I DONT KNOW YOU IDIOTIC GIRL. DO YOU THINK I CARE? I'D BE HAPPY TO BE AWAY FROM A DISGRACE SUCH AS YOU FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME!" Cordelia scooted herself back into the wall next to her bed. Her mother continued the abuse by picking up a jewelry box on her dresser and hurling it at Cordelia. "I raised you right. I did everything I COULD. All you do is disobey. YOU DONT EVEN HAVE ANY POWERS, JESUS CHRIST. To think, the daughter OF THE SUPREME doesn't have any powers. Disgrace DISGRACE." Right before she left though, she walked over to Cordelia, less than an inch away from her face and whispered, "you are special girl. You better start acting special, or I don't know what I'll do with you." And shoved her into the wall. She walked out and slammed the door. Cordelia slid down the wall tears. Streaming down her face. What did she do? What was a supreme? What did "being a special girl" mean? Her head was throbbing from where her mother had pushed her into the wall. The numb feeling became more prominent, almost growing and hurting her physically. It needed to stop. Cordelia didn't know what to do. There were no razor blades, aside from the ones her mother possibly used to make lines of coke. She had already had enough bruises. She thought about getting the bottle of vodka, but that would probably be noticed by her mother. She remembered suddenly. There was a lighter hidden in her underwear drawer. She had stolen it once, from when she had a friend who smoked. She took it so her friend might stop. She never did. Cordelia walked into her bathroom, locking the door, even though her mother wouldn't check on her anyways. Standing in front of the mirror, she turned on the lighter. He deserved it. She was a terrible daughter, and even worse friend, an a failure at life. The tears still streaming, she felt her skin burn, but didn't stop. The emotional pain was leaving her body, and physical pain filling that spot. Suddenly, Cordelia collapsed onto the ground shaking in tears. What did she just do? Why did she do it? She hopped into the shower. It burned, but cleaned her up. She didn't bother to do her homework, but just got into her pajamas and went to sleep.
~
Misty was still nervous about what had happened with the bird. Her family had always been very Christian, and they wouldn't take this lightly if they found out. Misty got home, and surprisingly her mother was home. Misty stood in the living room timidly as her mother said menacingly "misty? Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a very long time." Misty said quietly back, "I... Um.. Have been around mama... But you... Were, uh asleep." Misty's mom gave her a look,"asleep, was I? Are you sure you just haven't been ditchin school and sneakin out?" Misty was startled. Her mother had seemed to be out for days, and misty wouldn't ditch a day of school- she needed to see Cordelia. "No mama I wouldn-" she was cut off though. "WHOS THAT GIRL IN THE PICTURE BESIDE YOUR BED? HUH? I swear to god if you're some 'lesbian' then you're gone from my life." She lunged toward misty, but misty darted away just in time. "No mama! That's Cordelia. She's my best friend! I would never do something to hurt you like that!" Misty said. She was hiding her true feelings for Cordelia from everyone. Nobody could know. Misty's mom suddenly backed misty into a corner. She grabbed Misty's wrist, and she winced. Though the scars had healed a bit, they still hurt like hell. "What's this?" Misty's mom said as she ripped Misty's sleeve up. There, were the still visible scars. Her mother gave her a dirty look and screamed at her. She pushed Misty's head against the wall, and twisted her arm. "YOU STUPID LITTLE GIRL. YOURE GONNA GET US ALL IN TROUBLE. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKIN?" She yelled as she pushed misty into her room. "IM GOIN OUT. GET SOME SENSE WHILE IM GONE." Misty sobbed as she lay on her Floor. Everything hurt. So badly. Her body and soul. She at there until she was sure that her mother was gone. She wouldn't be home tonight. Misty could tell by the way she had a packed bag. She got up and walked toward the door. Locking it, misty hurried through the woods and to the school, where there was a pay phone. She pulled a little slip of paper with Cordelia's number on it from her bra, and inserted a quarter. Dialing frantically, she prayed Cordelia would pick it up. It rang 5 times, and on the sixth ring, a weary and tired voice picked up. "Hello?" It was Cordelia. "Please Cordelia. I need to see you can I come over? Please it's important." Cordelia agreed, though it was past dark, and gave her directions to the house. Misty hung up and started at a run to where Cordelia was. Misty needed Cordelia. She needed to be in her embrace- the comfort. She needed to feel as though she should live. And she only felt that way with Cordelia.