Suddenly, Snape fired a question at Harry, while he sat there, a confused look on his face,

"Potter, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" He snapped.

She watched as Hermione's hand shot up into the air, clearly knowing the answer.

"I don't know, sir" Harry replied. Amisty's green-gaze followed the Professor, curious as to what he was scheming.

"Tut, tut, clearly fame isn't anything. Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?" Snape sneered, his black eyes glittering with malice. Amisty's hands twitched under her desk, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"I don't know, sir," Harry repeated slowly.

Hermione was stretching her hand up to the ceiling, once again, obviously knowing the answer. Amisty wanted to smack Draco and his goons for laughing.

She could bet they didn't have a clue what the answers either.

"Thought you wouldn't pick up a book before coming, eh Potter?" he snarled, still ignoring Hermione's hand.

"What is the difference, between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Snape asked yet another question, and again ignored Hermione, who was now standing up, her fingertips reaching for the ceiling.

This wasn't fair, it was just bullying.

Amisty clenched her hands under her desk, biting her tongue.

"I don't know, but I think Hermione does, why don't you ask her?" Harry replied softly, getting a few laughs from his fellow Gryffindors, Amisty included.

"Sit!" he hissed at Hermione. "For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?" Snape growled.

Amisty quickly took out a quill and piece of parchment, scribbling the information down as fast as she could.

"And a point will be taken from Gryffindor for your cheek, Potter," Snape added, a smirk spreading across his face.

Amisty opened her mouth to protest, it wasn't fair what he was doing. Who was expected to know these things as a first year?

"Do you have something to say, Miss River?" Snape hissed out his question, his gaze piercing her soul.

"Yes, Professor," Amisty replied, gritting her teeth as she struggled to keep her temper in check.

"Well?" Snape prompted softly, walking up to her desk slowly.

All eyes were on Amisty, she could feel them boring into her skull.

"Don't you think that you're being a bit, unfair, to Harry?" She asked politely, staring straight back at Snape.

She couldn't make it any clearer that she wasn't fooling around.

"No, Miss River, I do not," Snape growled, they were nearly nose to nose.

"Well, I think you are," Amisty replied, her posture proving she was prepared to attack at any moment.

"And since when did your opinion matter?" He asked coldly.

Amisty decided it was now time to stop talking and all she did was glare at him.

"I thought so, and five points from Gryffindor, Miss River" Snape finished, walking away from her desk.

Amisty flushed, before noticing Hermione staring at her, her eyes wide with surprise. As she looked around, she noticed nearly everyone was looking at her.

Ron gave her a thumbs up, along with Seamus and Dean. Harry just grinned stupidly. Amisty smiled back, before looking back at Snape, feeling the raging fire inside her died down to a small flame.

-=+=-

Amisty was smiling like an idiot, amazed at the attention she got for standing up to Snape.

The Weasley twins slapped her on the back as she walked by, making her grin even more.

"You're insane!" Hermione laughed.

The girls were walking back to the common room, as classes were done for the day. Harry and Ron had disappeared soon after Potions was dismissed.

"News sure does travel fast," Amisty grinned nervously, she was getting many smiles and thanks from Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, and Hufflepuffs, but the Slytherins just gave her cold looks, occasionally trying to trip her.

The boy named Blaise nearly succeeded in making her fall flat on her face.

He had walked past her on the right, bumping harshly into her shoulder. The suddenness took her by surprise, and if Hermione hadn't steadied her, she would've fallen.

"Yep," Hermione replied, making sure she kept near her in case any more Slytherins tried anything more than just making her fall.

"Okay, this is getting out of hand!" Amisty growled, sending a death glare behind her back at a Slytherin girl who had just tried to kick her.

"Here's an idea! Next time don't talk back to a head of house!" A familiar, and unwelcome, voice replied.

"Malfoy!" Amisty snarled, spinning around to come face to face with the blonde haired boy.

He was flanked by Crabbe and Goyle, of course. Her rapid turn had clearly caught Hermione off guard, so by the time she had spun around to help Amisty, her eyes were blazing and it looked as if she would give anything to just attack Malfoy right then and there.

"Calm down, Amisty," Hermione hissed into her ear, appearing on her left in an instant.

"What do you want?" Amisty growled, taking massive amounts of control not to go flying at him.

One step closer and she had a feeling his goons wouldn't let her escape without a few bruises.

To the face.

"All I did was give you an idea," He replied innocently, trying to get under her skin.

It was working.

"Amisty, you really have to calm down, right now." Hermione whispered urgently. "Everyone's staring."

She could barely hear her, but she blinked and looked around.

Everyone had stopped walking to watch. But she refused to look weak in front of anyone, backing down from this challenge would give her no leverage.

"And why should I listen to you?" Her eyes were slits, the hallway so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Draco was clearly was at a loss of words, he blinked slowly, clearly trying to think of a comeback.

"Exactly," Amisty snarled, turning and walking away, Hermione following quickly.

"You'll regret this, River, you'll regret this!" Draco yelled from behind her.

Amisty ignored him, anger blurring her vision as she stormed to the painting, growled the password, and ran in, collapsing onto one of the couches.

"Amisty, you are going to get into so much trouble!" Hermione sighed, hugging her friend tightly.

"I know, I'm sorry. He just really gets on my nerves," She replied, tugging on her hair in frustration. She let her temper off the hook twice, in one day. Great.

"Oh really? Hadn't noticed," Hermione replied sarcastically, rolling her brown eyes. Amisty nodded, an awkward laugh leaving her mouth. She had made mistake, this wasn't the streets, this was a school. A school she could get expelled from She had to act properly. Especially around him.