Hogwarts Express: Year 1/Summer

Start from the beginning

Soon the racket became so overwhelming that she was gritting her teeth in pain.

"Amisty, Amisty are you okay?" She could barely hear Harry. Her eyes were wide in surprise, pupils dilated.

"Can you not hear it?" She asked sharply, certain that they were just joking with her.

There was no way they couldn't hear the noise. It was like a building crashing to the ground.

Ron and Harry shook their heads, and Amisty was even more confused. She let out a muffled cry as the commotion got unbearable.

Suddenly, the noise stopped abruptly, and the compartment door slid open, revealing a nice looking witch pushing a cart

"Anything off the cart, dears?" Harry jumped up from his seat, and went out to the hall.

Amisty removed her hands from her ears, watching the cart with suspicious eyes. When Harry returned, he was carrying an overflowing pile of sweets and pasties.

Harry handed Amisty a pasty, before urging Ron to have one too.

Amisty bit into the pasty carefully, dropping it onto the table as the witch moved to push the cart down the hall yet again.

Her hands flew to her ears, and she prepared herself for the overwhelming noise. But it never came. She looked around, confused, and lowered her hands. What was going on?

"Whats wrong?" Harry finally asked, his brow furrowed in concern.

"So you're telling me that you couldn't hear that?" She asked, bewildered and confused.

"Well, I mean, I heard it once it got close. But you clearly heard it way in advance," Ron replied, shrugging.

"How come you're not covering your ears now?" Harry questioned, picking up her pasty and pressing it into her palm.

She took another bite, letting the sweet flavour coat her tongue as she thought.

"I can't hear it now. This is weird," She ran a hand through her hair, clearly stressed out over the recent events.

Harry and Ron exchanged a glance, and Ron told her that after the sorting she should go to Madame Pomfrey.

Amisty nodded, even though she had no idea about what that meant.

The boys continued their conversation while she ate the rest of her pasty, mulling over her thoughts.

Harry and Ron began eating jelly beans from a colourful box, occasionally spitting one out or making a bitter face.

Suddenly, Amisty heard a knock on the door. Startled, she concealed her jumpiness by opening it. There was a boy around her age looking to be on the verge of tears.

"Sorry, but have you seen a toad at all?" He asked. The three of them shook their heads and the boy cried. "I've lost him! He keeps getting away from me!"

"He'll turn up," Harry replied kindly, giving him a reassuring smile. Amisty nodded, grabbing a box of candy from Harry's pile and handing it to the sniffling boy.

"Yes," the boy mumbled sadly, "Well, if you see him..." And the boy exited.

"Don't know why he's so bothered. If I had a toad, I would lose it as quick as possible. But to be fair, I brought Scabbers, so I can't really complain" Ron grumbled, giving a distasteful look at yellowish-grey rat lying on his lap.

Amisty looked at Scabbers with interest, snoring gently.

"He might have died, and I wouldn't even know the difference," Ron scathed. "I even tried turning him yellow yesterday, hoping it might make him more interesting, but the spell didn't work. I'll prove it..." He began looking around his trunk, emerging with a sad looking wand.