Chapter Three // The Bane Of Such Existence

Chapter Three, The Bane Of Such Existence.

London.

"You blood baffling idiot!" Isaac shouted for what seemed to Jules like the hundredth time." I take an eye off you for a moment to chat and next thing you know, I find you throwing a strike to and fro with a man twice your size! Really, Julian, even as drunkard I expect you to have-" He was cut off, only for a moment to push open the french styled doors to their manor.

"Have what? I have the fine features of any great man, a notch higher, of course. And the unforgettable personality-" Jules went on. He didn't sound drunk, then again, what a drunkard sound like exactly?

"No you fool, have you no morals? No shame? It's like you were raised in poverty and by lions." Isaac snarled, giving Jules a push into their parlor. Jules stumbled, but happened to look graceful doing so. Jules was always graceful, despite possible situations.

"Actually, I was raised in a French-style Manor that is run by my worry-wart of a brother-" Jules drawled, but stopped when a young sixteen year old girl was stepping down from the steps, clearly woken up.

"Good God, Julian! What in heaven happened to you, you're battered and bruised." The young girl, Jennie exclaimed, rushing towards Jules, checking over him for his bruises and cuts. Jules knew Jennie only called Jules by his full name either when she was angry at him, or worried to death about him.

"Being a bloody idiot at the tavern, that's what." Isaac snapped. Jules, himself, was startled. Isaac, who was usually such a gentleman, had just swore in front of their younger sister, and that tone was rarely used. Jennie looked up hastily, glaring at her eldest brother through slits of bright green eyes.

"Dear God, Isaac. Please, keep it down. I wish not to wake or disturb any of the maids. Now go be of use and fetch me a cold cloth." Jennie demanded, turning her attention back at Jules. Jules couldn't help but give a strain smile at her. He had always loved his sister. She was kind, loving, beautiful inside, and out. Everything he was not. Although he was aware of his looks, he felt empty inside.

But he did feel something as of right now. He hated, no, despised, hurting either of his siblings. The wariness in Jennie's eyes and the pained stress in Isaac's expression. Sighing inwardly, he settled himself down on one of the seats. He wasn't drunk- not really. He has taken a swing or two, but not enough to make him drunk.

Isaac came back, cloth in one hand. He had taken off his jacket, but he has not taken off that look of annoyance off his face. Jennie, taking the cloth, asked, "So, what exactly happened this time to get you all battered up Jules?"

Isaac snorted. "Played around with a man twice his full size and thought it be funny to throw a punch or two at the man." He leaned across the wall, arms crossed.

"It was only a jest, mind you." Jules protested. Jennie made a noise in the back of her throat, indicating Jules not to move about too much for her to dab away the dried blood. He stiffened a bit, allowing her to wipe the skin on her cheeks.

"And I suppose that punch or two that you threw was a jest as well?" Isaac's voice was dripping with sarcasm. He was no longer leaning against the ornate walls, but now sitting across from Jennie, with his hands on his knees, leaning towards the two siblings. It was an odd sight, it must have been. A girl with sandy, sunny curls hanging from her ribbon, brushing feverishly at a boy who was quite taller then her, leaving her straining to get the bruises on his forehead.

"I suppose it was so a jest." Jules said sarcastically, but his heart wasn't in it. He was in no mood now to argue with his brother. There were times when it was just too tiresome to deal with it. Leaning against the cushion of the chair, he felt the damp of the cloth pressed against his sore cheek. Trying not to wince at the pinch of pain, he focused his gaze on the necklace that dangled from Jennie's necklace. The colour of the necklace was a luminous shade of jade.