Prologue ~ 1727. [EDITED]

Living on an isolated island somewhere in Spain is far from fun. Walking down the streets, the smell of alcohol and gun power is strong and burns my nose. Prostitutes took up most of the roads at night. Gathering outside pubs waiting for a stranger to use their services. Rebellious children and teenagers attempt to buy bad substances and alcohol off street sellers. Then there were the pirates. Their ships filled up the docks and crew members stand guard. I have always wanted to be a pirate. For as long as I could remember. The freedom and authority excited me. How I yearned for the freedom.

I walk slightly faster than before as I heard my mother calling my name. I hate that vile woman. For years, she has abused me, same as my father. They felt no sympathy for anyone, not even their own children. Feeling my mother close behind me, I run into the closest pub, pushing through the crowds outside it.

"The usual, I suppose Rosa?" The barmaid and also my best friend, Maria asked.

"Please, Maria." She handed me the small sack of fabrics, thread and neadles. "Thank you very much." I smiled and handed her 10 shillings.

"Roslyn Kaylee Petrova?" A voice called. Recognising it as my mothers, Maria grabbed my arm and pulled me behind the bar. I sat on the ground hoping my mother will give up her search.

"Hello, Maria dear. Have you seen my daughter? She ran away again."

"Hello Edith. Unfortunately I haven't. I will keep an eye out and call for you if I see her." Maria would never rat me out to my mother. She really is the best friend in the world.

My mother finally left and Maria helped me up. "Thanks Maria."

"Don't mention it. Anyway, when are you planning on leaving?" She asked while pouring drinks for the usual customers.

"Tonight, hopefully. All I need is a ship and crew." Maria hands me a bottle of rum. I thank her and and drink some.

"Becky won't be happy. Her big sister running away to be a pirate."

"I have been planning this for months. I will bring her with me, if she's happy with that." I tell her, leaning on the bench.

"Alright then. But if I find out my best friend is dead and lost to Davy Jones' locker, I will come after you." She says as a drunk decides to start a fight with another man. Maria reaches under the bench and pulls out a gun.

"I'm getting sick of these pissheads." She runs over to the fighting men and tries to make them leave. Unfortunately she was too late. A massive bar fight breaks out. Shots are being fired and people start screaming. Maria runs over and grabs my arm.

"Come on Rosa! We must leave! I can't control this!" We run out the door an down the streets to my house. There is no light inside so my parents must be asleep. We sneak inside and walk to mine and Becky's room. Becky is asleep thank god.

Suddenly, we hear footsteps and I basically force Maria under my bed just as my mother walked in. She strutted over to be, like the whore she is.

"Well, well, well. Look who decided to show up." She smirked and I knew what was coming.

"Hello mother. I was out for a walk to the docks and decided to take the long route." I stepped away from her but the bitch took a step towards me. Becky was pretending to be asleep.

"I was out looking for you earlier. I went to the pub where Maria works but she hadn't seen you." She slapped me hard across the face, causing a sharp pain. I showed no sign if pain because if I did, she would do it more.

"Is that so? I apologise if I caused you any inconvenience." I acted sad and she left, slamming the door behind her and locking it. Maria came out from under my bed looking shocked and Becky got out of bed and walked over to us. We all sit on my bed chatting about girl things.