She gestured to the general welcome at the end of the letter. "I say we will be going, you, Will, myself, and Katrina."

Katrina paled slightly, "We will?"

Calen folded his arms, "And if I do nae agree?"

Maggie crossed her own arms. "Then we shall go without you. I am sure Will would be more than glad to accompany us."

Will swallowed loudly, no words made it from his slightly open mouth.

Finally Calen sighed and looked heavenward. "Fine, we shall go to Trenton."

Maggie squealed again and launched herself at him. He caught her in a hug and then she broke free again and flitted up the path to the cabin.

Will looked at his friend in concern. "Calen? What is a gala?"

Calen shrugged, "I haven't the faintest, William, but we shall know soon enough."

Suddenly Shannon clapped her hands together. "If Iv'e a houseful of children off to the fine city, I'd best be preparing." She commanded Teig's help and he followed her up to the cabin.

Will, too, said his goodbyes and he an duck started for home, leaving Calen and Katrina alone in the yard.

"What's wrong with ye?"Calen asked her. She might be the intuitive one of the family, but he knew her expressions almost as well as she knew his/

"Yer not expecting me ta go to that fancy party, are ye?" she asked.

"Aye," caleb answered firmly.

Katrina frowned and looked away.

"Ye don't expect me ta go alone?" he asked in return.

"Ye have Maggie."

Calen scoffed, "And she'll be hanging on to Will with all her strength."

Katrin rubbed her hand down the side of her face. "Calen, I won't fit in there."

Neither will I, do ye suggest we both stay?"

She huffed out a breath. "Of course not, ye have to go and see Micara. This may be yer last chance to see her, and ye best go and do it right this time."

"Or I could stay because I'm afraid of a little party," he said, mocking her.

She glared at him.

He smirked his signature smirk, and then his face changed. "I do have to go, wi' or wi'out ye. "I've got ta see her again, got ta tell her... everything. I've got ta try one last time before I let her go. She belongs with me, and I will tell her that."

He looked at Katrina again. "I'd like ye to come too. I've a feeling a friendly face in that crowd will be a rare thing."

"I will think it over," she said after a moment.

Calen flicked the paper in his hand, flashing her a grin before he sauntered off. He was confident what her decision would be.

~~~~~~~~~

About a week later, the Donelly house was abuzz with excitement. Will had arrived earlier with his Da's large canoe readied for their journey. Shannon was in a tizzy, as was her nature in such situations, flitting about and giving orders for tasks Maggie and Katrina had already seen to.

Calen hefted the girls' trunk, stuffed as full as Maggie could pack it, and hauled it down the path. Maggie danced through the doorway and snagged Will's arm, plying him along as she skipped to the river. Katrina exited the cabin slowly, her hand lingering on the doorframe as if bound by some cord to the warm familiarity of her home. Shannon hurried her outside towards the waiting canoe. Teig, as always, followed his family out, shutting the door behind him.