Chapter One

It started out a normal day. I was out the door at 7:37, driving down the quiet street in the beaten up Toyota from 2005. I drove slowly that day. I was still only half awake. I passed a torn down mailbox. I could've sworn that it was up the night before. I remember, since I had come home late from running.
The torn down mailbox should have been a red flag. But I paid no attention. I continued down the street. I rolled the windows half-way down, since it was always hot in our small town, but a cold breeze blew in anyway. I could feel the goosebumps forming on my arms.
I reached Reagan's house three minutes late. I honked the horn, extra loudly that day. The sound echoed throughout the tall houses, sounding like a faraway call. Not more than ten seconds later, a stressed looking Reagan came out of the bright green house, an apple crammed between her pearly white teeth.
She had three binders squished between her arms and her chest. She was doing some odd balancing act with her books in her other hand. She was quickly making her way down the long sidewalk outside her house.
I opened the car door for her, but she ignored me. Instead, she somehow opened the backseat door and shoved all her stuff in the seat. As she slammed the door shut, I rolled my eyes. How typical.
"Hey Alex," Reagan said. She looked at me affectionately with bright green eyes, almost as bright as her house.
"Reagan." I nodded in acknowledgement, looking at her for a split-second, black eyes meeting hers. This is how most mornings went. Me minimizing the amount of words I say to prevent myself from further embarrassment, and her staring at me for five seconds when she got into the car. When I was around her, my tongue always seemed tied.
I turned on the radio and turned up the volume all the way as she put her seatbelt on. As soon as I heard the click, I sped off. Hit the gas, don't look anywhere but the road.
"So. How was your morning?" Reagan attempted at starting a conversation.
Reagan never attempted at starting a conversation with me. Sure, we'd known each other for ages, but we never spoke. Not after the incident when we were ten. I only gave her a ride to school, and that was it.
Her starting a conversation should have been another red flag, but once again, I paid no notice. I just kept driving, ignoring her. I took one hand off the wheel and turned the volume up a little bit more, hoping the music was loud enough to drown out my feelings.
"ALEX!" Reagan shouted again. "HOW WAS YOUR MORNING?"
Hadn't she gotten the hint? I politely ignored her still. I readjusted my cap, which was conveniently covering my bed-head. She stopped talking. Now she was just staring at me, those intense green eyes boring into my head. It felt as though she was searching through me, digging up my soul.
I ignored her, pretending like nothing was happening. I turned into the school parking lot and turned off the car. I got out, but Reagan didn't. I rolled my eyes, a bit annoyed and turned back around. I opened the car door and scolded her for not getting out.
"Come on, Reagan, school is going to start without you. Get your stuff and get out of the car."
                                  •••
That's the first chapter!! I'll update soon!