When Can I Start?

John Thornton stood in the Marlborough Mills, just outside of his office, waiting for, and anticipating the arrival of his possible new workers.

"Sure 'ope plenty of 'em show up," an overseer, Hubert Everton drawled out to Mr. Thornton, his thick cockney accent ringing out through the smoky Milton air. "Them advertisements wa'n't cheap."

John nodded in agreement, but stayed silent.

"Ah! 'Ere they come!" Hubert cried, pointing to the crowd of men advancing, eager to get a job at the Marlborough Mills.

As the horde of unemployed men approached, Mr. Thornton and Mr. Everton signed in each and every man in a huge leather bound record book.

"Next please," John announced to the last dozen or so of the men, not looking up from his book. As he heard feet approaching, he asked, or rather stated the next question: "Name." He saw in the edge of his vision, just above the book, that the shoes of the person in front of him belonged not to a man, but to a woman.

"(Y/n) Bennington, is my name, sir," she said confidently, bringing John's gaze to her eyes. Nevertheless her confidence did not waver. "Do you still have an opening for a woman?"

"I...did not expect to see a..a woman here," he faltered, his eyes flitting from Miss (Y/n) to his registry.

"Why not?" she asked with a slightly confused look. "Work is work, and I need the money."

"The labor isn't easy," John warned, "it'll be better for a lady to work over at Hammon's."

"Does Hammon pay more?" she asked with a little less than a questioning tone of voice.

"No."

(Y/n) shrugged in conclusion. "'S why I'm here. Prob'ly why most of us are here. I am no stranger to hard work, Mr. Thornton, never have, never will be. But after the death of my parents and my older sister, I'm left with the charge of my little sister, Harriet. Need the money."

John nodded. "Then I'd be happy to pay you for your labor, Miss (Y/n)."

(Y/n) smiled contentedly. Finally, she and Harriet might just be able to get what they need after all.

🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩
For EnyaFeder , thank you so much for requesting!! I loved writing this!!💙💙
I have more ideas and updates on the way, so be ready!