Chapter 21

Harry

After sitting around the hotel room for three hours and watching movies, Felicity and I stand outside of a place called Ted Drewes. The concierge recommended that we try it out, to which I was skeptical because I don't know what the fuck frozen custard is nor why he would recommend something frozen to eat when it's freezing cold outside. But nevertheless we stand outside the small building as we wait to order something.

For an ice cream looking dessert, I'm surprised there's this many people in line at this time of the year. I don't ever really go to get ice cream in the winter time, so to see it still pretty busy it has to be good. 

As we stand in line, I make conversation with a couple of locals behind us in line. Felicity thinks it's funny that I just strike up a conversation with people I don't know, as if that's really the strangest thing in the world. But after talking to these people about what we're standing in line for, I come to the conclusion that frozen custard and ice cream are nearly the exact same. Apparently there's one ingredient in custard that makes it different, but I don't think it's enough for it to taste differently. Whatever the case, I'm feeling a little less skeptical about this place. 

Felicity and I decide to just share one thing of custard. It works out because we both want the same one: peanut butter and chocolate with bananas. The whole thing just looks like really thick ice cream, and it tastes nearly the same.

We sit in my car as we eat the dessert. If it were warmer outside, we'd stand around the little custard hut like the locals, but my ass is freezing in this weather. Eating a frozen dessert doesn't help. 

"So," Felicity starts to speak as she finishes the spoonful of peanut butter custard in her mouth. "How long will it take to get to New Orleans?"

"It's basically a ten hour drive. It could take us all day if we wanted it to."

"Well I don't want to sit in the car all day."

"Neither do I. But from what I've heard, the city is alive almost throughout the entire night, so we can pretty much get there at any time and still be able to walk around Bourbon Street."

"And meet your friend ... right?"

"Oh. Yeah. That, too. Don't you think it'll be weird to hangout with him? I barely even know him."

When Niall and I met this guy a few years back, we thought he was the coolest guy. He was the epitome of cool and confident. The three of us had a great time getting to know one another and hanging out in the city of Chicago, but since then I haven't spoken a word to him. I don't even know if he remembers who I am. 

I guess Niall has been keeping in touch with him, but that's typical of Niall because he keeps in touch with everyone. He collects friends, so to speak. Or maybe he's just a really friendly guy. It could be either.

I wouldn't mind hanging out with this Zayn guy, but I'm unsure if it's going to be awkward because we haven't spoken in a long time. I don't even have his phone number, so I'm not sure how I'm expected to get in touch with him once we arrive in the city. 

Felicity frowns at me before taking the cup of custard from my hand. "I didn't know your friend Niall, but I still had fun. I didn't think it ended up being awkward."

"Right but that's a little different. I'm really good friends with Niall."

"But you at least know the guy. Maybe he could be our tour guide. Won't it be fun?"

I grab the cup back from her hands and dig my spoon right in the center. "Okay, fine. We'll go meet up with him."

Felicity reaches for the cup but I move it away from her. There's not a lot of space for me to move around in my car, so it's a short-lived moment of me teasing her. I laugh as she starts growing annoyed with my actions, frowning at me and pouting her bottom lip. She nearly climbs over the center console of my car before I'm the one that gets annoyed with her carelessness for my vehicle. I finally give in to her whining as I take one last bite of the custard and hand over the cup before firing up the car's engine.