Chapter 19

"We had some good luck today!" Hollyleaf meowed as she, Lionblaze, Sandstorm and I returned to camp from a hunting patrol, dropping our catches onto the fresh-kill pile. I grunted to Hollyleaf in agreement before dropping my mouse and shrew on top of the other pieces of prey.

I was thankful that StarClan had blessed us with so much prey in the forest recently. It was nearly leaf-fall, but there was still lots of prey scattering around the forest.

"Leafpool! Jaypaw! Get in here, now!"

I flicked my ears in alarm as I saw Graystripe storm out of the nursery, his eyes wide as he breathed heavily. He was clearly under a lot of stress, but I didn't know why.

So, I quickly trotted over to the gray tom. "Graystripe, what's the matter?" I asked him worriedly. I realized that Graystripe had never looked so dismayed, at least not since I'd met him.

He stared back at me with big green moons. "Millie is sick!" He cried. "This can't happen now! She's going to have our kits soon!"

Before I could say anything else, he pelted past me and ran straight into the medicine den. I sighed, my heart welling with sympathy as I could hear him pleading Jaypaw and Leafpool to help him. As much as I understand Graystripe's fear, I thought, I'm sure those two will be able to help with whatever's wrong.

A few heartbeats later, Graystripe burst back out of the medicine den with Leafpool and Jaypaw following before disappearing into the nursery.

As I was watching them go, I heard Sandstorm meow beside me, "I hope Millie gets better. Those kits could come at any time now."

"I'll certainly be praying to StarClan," I murmured back, my worry for the queen growing with every heartbeat.

"Speaking of kits..." I heard Hollyleaf murmur to Sandstorm.

I narrowed my eyes. At first I had no idea what the black fluffy she-cat was talking about. I gasped as Hollyleaf then walked up to me and gently poked my belly with her tail.

"... I think that someone is getting ready to have some," she said excitedly, almost as if suppressing a squeal.

I widened my eyes and immediately hopped back, startled by the accusation. But then I began to analyze the meaning of Hollyleaf's words. I mean...I have been getting a little plump... I thought. But I've just been grabbing some extra prey from the fresh-kill pile...

I then realized, but I've been grabbing extra prey since I've been extra hungry, possibly to provide for kits!

"Oh my StarClan..." I breathed, barely being able to process it.

"Everyone can see it now!" Surprisingly Lionblaze, a tom, agreed with his sister.

I could barely speak. "I-I... I-" I'm having kits! This... this is amazing! I began to knead my paws excitedly. "I'm having kits!" I repeated out loud, practically squealing.

The whole hunting patrol let out mrrows of laughter. Sandstorm padded up to me and ran her tail along my flank. "Being the only cat who has had kits in this patrol," she murmured, one of her eyebrows raised, "I feel like I can say that this should be the last patrol you go on for a while."

I exchanged a look with the pale ginger she-cat, barely being able to contain my excitement. "I think you're right," I purred, gasping as a weird sensation ran through my stomach. I was suddenly overwhelmed with love as I realized that my kits were moving, almost as if they knew that their mother had found out that they were there.

"Hm, I think that they're telling you to get into the nursery!" Hollyleaf joked.

I purred with amusement as I looked down at my growing belly. "It seems like it!" I exclaimed. "I should let Firestar know."