2 ☆ did you love him?

Start from the beginning

At the same time, another voice cries, "Cedric Diggory!" He jogs up to the tree, bouncing nervously. "I'm Collin Creevey. I was hoping I could get a photo of you. I want to get photos of all the Triwizard Champions." He brandishes a camera the size of his head.

"Sure," Cedric agrees easily. He nudges Eunbyeol with a smile, "Look at me, I'm famous."

Eunbyeol laughs, and a bright flash from Colin's camera goes off. "Sorry!" The young boy fiddles with his camera. A picture slides out, and he inspects it, saying, "Hey, that's not too bad!"

"May we see it?" Cedric asks. Colin complies, plodding through the grass and handing him the photo.

Eunbyeol peers at it. "I like it."

"Oh!" Collin cries, red spreading down his neck. "Keep it, then!"

Cedric pulls out his wand, points at the picture, and says, "Gemino." The photo pulls apart, creating a duplicate. He scribbles something on the back of the copies and holds one out to her. "Here. Take it."

Eunbyeol takes the photo and flips it over, scanning Cedric's impromptu caption. "A perfect day: one sunny November afternoon with you." is scribbled on the back. Eunbyeol's chest feels light and warm and she smiles at the two boys. "Thank you."

Collin flushes red and mumbles something about how it was no problem and that he was happy to take the photo. Cedric just grins. "Anything for you, Eunbyeol."

They found the photo tucked into the pocket of Cedric's slacks when he died. "Sunshine on a cloudy day, she makes me want to sing to The Temptations" was written on the back of his. Eunbyeol has never quite figured out the meaning of that caption, but thinking about it still makes her feel like someone has Augamenti-ed her. She blinks, and she's back in her room. She swipes the water out of her eyes. Maybe some phantom wizard had really struck her with a water charm.

She studies the photo. It's bright and colorful, with the vivid greens and blues of the lake. The emblem on Cedric's jumper is the color of honey, and Eunbyeol's cheeks are flushed pink. She can't recall a time where she looked as happy as she did in the picture. She bites her lip and places the photo on her nightstand. She steps back and observes the room as a whole again. The bright, animated photo brings a little bit more life to the room. She smiles faintly to herself. Better.

☆☆☆

Days drag by and turn into weeks which turn into months. Eunbyeol spends her days doing what respectable pureblood ladies do: studying or reading or practicing the piano or dancing.

There's a dinner party every other week, and her father brags and shows her off and makes her put on her ballet shoes and dance for guests. The women coo over how skilled and polite and respectful she is and how she'll make a good wife and men leer at her and make lewd comments about her body. It's the same every time.

She studies the photo of her and Cedric every day. It's still the only colorful thing in her room. She hides it every time her mother walks into her room.

One sunny afternoon, Hyoeun sweeps into the room, and Eunbyeol shoves the photo underneath her blankets again.

"Get dressed." Hyoeun orders. "The Malfoys are coming over for dinner."

"The Malfoys have never been to our home before." Eunbyeol remarks carefully.

"We have business to discuss." Hyoeun says crisply. "Oh, and you have new dresses. Wear the emerald one tonight." The chill from the house already begins to set into Eunbyeol's bones as her mother briskly walks away.