fourteen

The creature stands still, waiting for me to make the first move, so I do. I step towards it and it tenses. I suddenly rush at it and throw it into the nearest tree.

It recovers quickly and lunges at me. It tosses me completely through a tree and it falls, narrowly missing Alex. I struggle to get up. I can see Alex trying to stay out of the fight.

It rushes at me and I barely dodge its attack. I grab its arm as it runs by and twist it until it cracks. It shrieks and rips it's arm away. It picks up a branch from the fallen tree and turns towards me.

I get ready to block the attack but I fail. The branch stabs my stomach and rips through my skin. It scrapes my spine and exits on the other side of my abdomen. It grins wide and jerks it out of my stomach. Blood drips from it and coats my white dress.

Alex gasps loudly and catches me before I fall. He steadies me until I can stand on my own.

" Alex. Go. I got this. Don't get hurt." I gasp out. He hesitates but steps away. I hold my stomach and stand in front of the creature. It can tell that I'm in bad shape. It grabs me and holds me in place while it knees my side over and over. Waves of pain wash over me and cause spots to fill my vision.

I grab blindly and grab onto its hair. I pull with all my strength and it lets go. I drop to my knees but force myself to get up before it can attack.

I sway from side to side. All I can do is get ready to defend myself. It growls like an animal and swipes at my face with claw-like nails. I pull my face back and it misses.

It grabs my shoulders and throws me back. I smash into another tree but this one stays standing. It stalks forward to finish the job. I wait until it's almost here and then roll away from where it punches. It's off balance and I wrap an arm around its leg.

It spins around to attack me but now it's even more off balance. I pull with all my strength and it falls. Its head hits the trees on the way down. I force myself to ignore the pain and plant a knee on its chest. Now I have the upper hand.

My blood drips onto its body and I get dizzy from blood loss. I have to act fast. I grab its neck and it claws my arm. Its nails scrape the bone and more blood soaks the creature.

I put my other hand on its neck and move the first hand to its chin. I lift it up just a little and put my second hand on the top of its head. I tangle my fingers in its hair and twist. A loud crack fills the air. The creature goes still, It's nails still embedded in my arm.

I let go and pull its hand away from my arm. My heart beat it getting faster and faster. My ears are ringing and black spots fill my field of view. I can faintly hear Alex coming up to me.

" It's okay. You're going to be fine. Just stay with me. Please. Grim. Come on. You're going to be fine." He begs. It sounds like I'm underwater. Everything fades away. For the first time I know what everyone I ever reaped felt like.

I feel my soul leave my body. I stand beside Alex. Somehow I know he can't see me. Only Death can see the dead. I voice behind me pulls me away from Alex.

A woman stands behind me. Her long brown hair is is waves down her back. Her warm brown eyes are welcome and happy even though tears fill them. Smile lines are visible and little wrinkles beside her eyes mark her age.

She grins." My child." She says in Danish." Momma." I respond. My voice is thick with an accent. I run to my mother and hug her. She hugs me tightly and strokes my hair.

" I missed you child." She whispers in my ear. She lets go of me but holds me at arm's length. She grabs my hand and leads me to a white door. I turn back and look at Alex trying to bring me back.

" Good bye Alex." I whisper and follow my mother through the door. My father and brother are waiting for me. I'm finally home.