How the Vacktors came to be part 2

Third person POV

Red lay down inside the crib silently sleeping, as Miss Vacktor walked over to the next chamber like test tube. The plague on this one read "Orange" since the liquid inside it was an orangish color. She prayed quietly to herself that the next baby would be "normal" and that he or she would have no defects, but deep within her she knew that it wouldn't be true.

She reached on inside "Orange's" container and opened it. Pausing to take a moment to collect herself. "Please let this one be healthy and normal." She quietly whispered to no one in particular. "I couldn't bare to see this child hurt." She said out loud this time. Again no one was there.

She composed herself and gently reached her hand to pick up the baby. She didn't even have to check to see if it had a tail she could already tell that this baby was "unique." The baby had orange hair. Real orange hair. And orange colored eyes. Orange colored eyes. She took the baby into the light to see it better. To check if the eyes were amber or hazel. She carried the baby under the lights to see the eyes. And sure enough they were orange. Actual orange eyes.

She mentally prepared herself for what she needed to check to see next. And sure enough the baby had an orange tail and gills. This greatly displeased Miss Vacktor.

She walked over to the crib where "Orange's" sibling Michael was waiting sound asleep. At the least that wasn't a disaster. A baby that was actually sleeping for once. One thing that did worry her about being a mother is if the babies would actually sleep, and she was grateful that Michael wasn't crying.

She started rocking "Orange" when she noticed something astonishing. "Test subject" "Green" had opened its eyes. This wasn't suppose to happen. The babies shouldn't be able to move until she empties the chamber of its water like liquid. The liquid was designed to keep them in a sleep like state as they grew and matured. She slowly put baby "Orange" down to sleep so could go and check on "Green." She'd really need to give the babies proper names.

She grabbed her clipboard and jotted something down about baby "Green" being able to open its eyes before being released from its beaker like tube. She went back over to her control panel and pressed the drain button to begin the process of freeing her third child from its test tube. Of course only to be interrupted by a crying like sound.

A crying sound? Oh no did Dr. Miller's crybaby son get back in her lab again. She thought he promised not to bring his son back to work after his little accident with the lab rats. Luckily if he was here she had cookies to soothe the crying child. She paused for a moment realizing that it was around midnight and she was the only one here. Not even the janitors stayed that late. Geese she must have been really tired. She came here every night at this time to take care of her future children. Monitoring their growth, vitals, reading to them to help their brains develop. Plus she always had to show up to work the next day and do mindless paperwork for various projects.

She looked around the room and saw no one "Orange" and Michael were happily lying in their crib and Dr. Miller's son was no where to be seen. She began to wonder if the exhaustion was finally getting to her. Playing tricks with her mind, when she heard the crying again.

She turned to look at the test tubes and saw that the baby sitting in the "Blue" test tube was crying. First one opens its eyes then another one actually makes sounds. All while inside the cylinder like glass. She pressed the drain button again on her consul so she could take a look at this baby. It clearly needed something. Or worse something was wrong with it.

She raced over to the baby pulling off all the wires and cords attached to its body. Her heart sank when she saw him.

The little babies skin was blue.