. First Day .

-Holly’s Point of View-

I hurriedly shut the door behind me, making sure it was locked before curling up on my bed, ignoring the yells coming from the living room. 

I closed my eyes tightly, flinching when I heard my name.

I hadn’t done anything. So why did he have to take it out on me and Aunt Maxine??

He being my uncle Fredrick.

I hugged my pillow, letting a tear slip as I shook my head, reminding myself that I did nothing wrong. Nothing...

My thick brown hair fell in front of my face as I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

~~~~~~

“Holly!!”

I shot up, practically falling out of bed, “I’m up!”

Aunt Maxine chuckled and walked in, sitting on the edge of my bed, “Sure, sweetie. you better hurry and get ready! Your first day of school starts in two hours.”

See, I've been homeshcooled most of my life. But it's getting to be way to much for Aunt Maxine to handle. So, I'm switching to public school! Oh my word, I'm so nervous. I mean, I'm starting school four weeks late.  

Maxine was the prettiest woman I knew. She had dark brown hair, which was nearly always pulled up into a bun, except for her bangs which delicately framed her heart-shaped face, and soft green eyes. 

She made everyone feel welcome when she was around...

A closer look showed me that she was wearing make-up on her cheek, which she never does. Except, of course, when Uncle Fred took his anger out on her. 

He never did much harm. Sure, we’d walk away with a bruise or two, but he always stopped after that.

Listen to me.

I can’t believe I’m actually trying to defend him...

“Holly? Earth to Holly.” 

I blinked, snapping out of my zone, “Getting ready! Right!”

With a small shake of her head, Aunt Maxine made her way out of my room.

I fumbled around in my closet. What to wear, what to wear?

After much debating, I settled on a yellow circle skirt that came right below my knees and an over-sized sweater. 

“Loved by me

You'll never know if you are loved by me

As pretty as your face is

I'd never round the bases

From a distance home is easier to see

I'd be fine

If I could find the nerve to say my line

Too bad I lack the fervor

'Cause maybe I could swerve her

Off her beaten path and onto mine”

I continued to hum the verses to Harry Connick Jr.’s song “Loved By Me” as I put my hair up in a messy bun.

Can I help it if his voice is absolutely amazing?

After I finished, I just stared into the mirror at my brown eyes. I wish so much that they were green... Ah well. Can’t change it. Might as well embrace it, hm?

After finishing getting ready, I rushed down the stairs, slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

“Don’t forget breakfast, young lady!” Aunt Maxine called from the kitchen.