What?!

I stared up at him, waiting for his answer. He seemed a bit lost as soon as I asked that; was the answer really that bad? I was cut off from my thoughts as soon as he spoke up. "Kid, I don't know if there's an easy way to put this but... Hey, you remember that smog cloud?" he asked, the tone of his voice showing that he really didn't want to say this, like what he was going to say was going to hurt me. I nodded a "yes" and he continued. "You only saw this thing because you turned around, right?" I nodded again, a few ideas of what he might say forming in my mind. "Did you turn around to walk back to someplace?" I nodded my head. Terrible thoughts started filling my mind and my eyes widened. "Well, it... it appears that the smog had destroyed everything in its path. I'm afraid you'll have to stay here for quite a while..." He spoke as if he were broken; as if each word was hurting him even more. I put a hand over my mouth, stifling a gasp as my eyes widened further. I looked down at the tabletop, hugging myself; I knew exactly what he meant.

     My throat and eyes burned as I tried not to cry, my whole body shaking as I did so. I looked up a little from the table to see Kaine fidgeting with his hands a bit, like he wanted to comfort me, but just as well not wanting to scare me. I crookedly stumbled my shaking form toward his hands, my foot clumsily slipping on the smooth surface of the table. I started falling to my side, expecting the hard surface of a table. Instead, I was greeted with the firm, but cushiony, surface of a hand. I looked up at Kaine's face, tears welling in my eyes. His orange eyes were glowing softly in a warm manner. He wore a concerned, as well as pitied, expression with his ears lowered. I stopped looking at his face and curled up in the curve of his fingers. I removed my glasses and quietly sobbed. I lied there sobbing for a while until I flinched when I, all of a sudden, felt something rub my back. I relaxed, it was just Kaine trying to comfort me. I sobbed silently while whispering in my thoughts, 'They can't be gone, they can't!'  I whispered that in my mind and sobbed quietly until I fell asleep.

Kaine's POV

     I knew that was the way she was going to react, and I knew she was going to ask that question as well... I hadn't wanted to answer the question, though I did anyway since it was inevitable she would ask again if I had somehow managed to avoid it. I sighed outwardly at my thoughts, looking down at my creator's sleeping form in my hand. In her sleep, she somehow managed to wrap her arms around my pointer finger in a hug, causing me to smile. I got up from my chair in the kitchen and walked to the living room. I sat down in my favorite recliner and laid back, placing my hand with Zoe in it on my chest. Soon, I too fell asleep.

My POV

      I ran through the forest trail, trying to escape the now humanoid smog-monster. It floated after me effortlessly; suddenly, a hand made of smoke shot right in front of me, making me fall on my back and try to scramble away as best I could. Unfortunately, the billowing fingers of "smoke" wrapped around me quickly, and tightly. It raised me up to its distorted and twisted face, which was swirling in the air; though, through the distortion, I could still see its wicked smile. It spun us around and faced me forwards to see a horrible sight: my parents suffocating to death. I tried to look away, but the smog creature took hold of my face with its finger and thumb, holding my head in place. 

     I was frustrated: this horrid creature was forcing me to watch my parents die right in front of me, and I couldn't do anything about it. They collapsed, faces blue from lack of oxygen, and their skin started dissolving. I couldn't take much more of this, so I started struggling to get out of this horrid beast's grip. It growled, and let go of my face, but its already crushing grip got tighter, and tighter, and tighter until my ribs started crackin- 

     I sat up in a cold sweat, trying not to hyperventilate. 'WHOLY. SHIT.' I thought, that dream having had scared the living daylights out of me. I looked around, remembering to have fallen asleep in Kaine's hand and I suddenly felt more at ease. Sure, he may be some type of an evolved predatory species, but he was still a person, a kind one at that. I, now feeling protected, decided to go back to sleep. So, I found a comfy spot and snuggled up next to it, already feeling the inviting void of sleep taking ahold of me.