Chapter 1: A Love Song Is Worth A Thousand Words

Hey Beatlemaniacs.

So this is the first Beatles fanfiction I wrote. Considering it was poorly written because I wrote it when I was only eleven, I went back and totally revised it so I could bring it to it's full potential. This, along with a lot of my other fanfictions, is about Paul. More specifically Paul and one of my favorite original characters, Alyssa Carter. I really hope you enjoy it!

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the Beatles or any of the venues at which they performed (unfortunately).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1:

A Love Song Is Worth A Thousand Words

    I walked outside of The Cavern entrance, a blast of cold air sending chills down my back. Okay, the cold air was a good thing since it was close to a hundred degrees in that place. I just couldn’t stand being cramped in that humid cellar, even if the Beatles were playing today. Even they weren’t worth developing claustrophobia over. Actually, they were worth developing claustrophobia over. But claustrophobia and a heat stroke? No thank you.

   I started to wander around the shabby building, thinking of only one thing: my father. He’d desperately wanted to come. Since he’d once been a manager of a one-hit-wonder group, his dream was to scout out another band and lead them to success. I didn’t dare tell him that the Beatles already had a manager. All the same, he became very sick suddenly and stayed home in America. I didn’t want to come here to Liverpool without him, but he insisted that I get out of Aurora, Minnesota and watch the up-and-coming band perform.

   I looked at my father‘s guitar that I held in my tight grip. I’d brought it with me because I needed something to remind me of why I was here. And besides that, The Cavern Club wasn’t too picky about bookings. It was basically like an open-mic kind of gig, so I figured I would perform too. But I didn’t tell my father that. He would insist on getting me to a “real” audition and getting me to play a “real” show. Needless to say, I snuck the guitar out of the house.

   I guess it’s about time that I introduce myself. My name is Alyssa Carter. I was born on January 2nd, 1943, making me twenty-one years old today. My age limited me to do so much. I was still looked at as a child and not the adult that I actually am.

   The back of the building where The Cavern resided was full of solitude and still air. It was perfect for playing a song. I leaned up against the brick wall of the club’s neighboring building and began playing. My fingers tripped over the strings. I counted the beats. To some avail, it actually sounded lovely. I smiled to myself. This simple love song I was playing was my mother and father’s favorite. My father played it for my mother on their first date and their wedding. It was like a keepsake to them; a secret promise to always love each other unconditionally. I thought it was really romantic that he would devote his time to write a song for the one he loves. If I ever fell in love, that would be the best thing a guy could do for me.

   I was about to play the last chord of the melody when something stopped my fingers from moving. Girls screamed at the top of their lungs, and four tall figures ran out of the back entrance. That’s when I snapped back into reality, and looked up. One figure caught my eye. Oh shit. I thought. I knew exactly who they were. I quickly put my head down and started playing again. I guess I was hoping he would keep walking.

   “Paul! Where are ya’ goin’?” one of them yelled.

   “Umm, I’ll be right back.” he responded. As he walked closer, my heart beat faster. Faster, and faster, and faster. He was actually walking toward me! My breathing got harder. I slowly looked up.