Chapter 3 ( Day 3 - Thunderstorm/Summer Rain)

The storm had started just moments after they'd gotten back to their cave. It had quite literally come out of nowhere. During the last week, hell during the last hour, there had been no sign of a storm starting up. The skies had been clear. The sea, calm and none of the animals, sea, sky or land had disappeared like they usually did when a storm like this came about.

It explained why the humans had gone to the lighthouse on such a clear night though. They would have to turn it on so any approaching ships could tell where the rocks were why the storm raged on. Not that anyone would be crazy enough to sail during it. Or at least that's what they would hope.

It was never any fun when they would take a swim the morning after it had cleared only to find one or two recently sunk ships. Some of which would still have bodies in.

A loud crashing from outside made Shiro wake up with a start. It took him a few minutes to remember where he was and that the sound was either lighting or thunder from the storm outside.

He looked to where Keith slept soundly next to him. Neither the storm nor Shiro's sudden waking had disturbed his sleep. That was good, the last thing he wanted was for Keith to wake up because of him.

Sighing, Shiro laid back down and took a couple deep breaths to slow his still fast beating heart. Knowing he wasn't going to be able to sleep again for a little while, Shiro let his mind wander.

Even with the scare it had given him, he was glad that it had woken him up. Shiro had been in the middle of a nightmare and he hated it when Keith had to wake him up from them. No one should have to see him experience them, let alone his mate. They had of course gotten better since he had met Keith. Something about having him close soothed Shiro and they didn't happen as often as they once had. When they did happen, they were bad. Really bad.

Before he could continue his thought there was another loud crash of thunder. Instinctively he looked to Keith to find him still sleeping. It seemed nothing tonight could wake him. That was good. Even though he had slept all afternoon he deserved to sleep more. It made up for all the nights he had gone without sleep or had been woken up by something or someone.

It wasn't long afterwards that Shiro began to feel sleepy again. Yawning, he turned onto his side and brought himself close to Keith. When he draped his tail over Keith's, he felt the end of his tail and tailfins entwine itself with Shiro's. Smiling, he leant his head against the back of Keith's neck and fell asleep.

The next morning Shiro woke up alone. He wasn't worried about it though. He could see the sunlight streaming in from the cave's mouth and in place of the sounds of last night's storm there was the sounds of birds chirping, the waves gently splashing against the shore outside and the laughter of children. He frowned at that last one. They sounded close enough that they could stumble upon the cave and he really didn't want that.

It had happened once before and the human's wouldn't stop hanging out around, near or in the cave. It had been a couple of months before they could return and Shiro would hate for that to happen again.

Deciding not to risk it, he rolled over and slipped into the pool of water. He then followed the underwater cavern system to the ocean.

Once he entered the ocean, Shiro headed to where he knew Keith to be. The Big Reef.

As he made his way to the Reef he passed the rocks they'd slept on all of yesterday. The beach next to the rocks had humans all of it. 'No resting there today.' Shiro thought to himself.

When he reached the Reef it didn't take him long to figure out where Keith was. He was darting in and out of the coral, chasing the fast small fish. Shiro knew he wasn't do this with the intentions of catching and eating them. Rather he was doing it for the fun.

"Keith, don't you think you've antagonised those fish enough?" he asked.

Keith laughed as he stopped chasing the fish and turned to face Shiro. He shrugged. "Not like there's anything else to do right now."

"You might be a tad wrong about that."

He frowned. "What do you mean?"

"The bay, Keith. The place where we first met. The humans won't be using it since all of the main beaches are now suitable for them once again." Shiro replied.

"Sounds like a good idea to me. Let's go."

They had reached the bay and had just settled down when drops of water began to fall from the sky. It started off slow and quickly got heavier and heavier. Keith chuckled as he laid back onto the sand and ran a hand through his hair. "Should've seen this one coming huh, Takashi? A little bit of leftover rain from the storm!"

Shiro smiled. "Yeah. So what do you want to do now? Stay here or go back to where we were yesterday?"

"We're here now. Might as well stay. Now come over here. I want to kiss you."

"Is that so?" Shiro asked as he made his way to Keith's side.

"Yeah, I want to kiss you and maybe do whatever it was that you wanted to do yesterday." Keith said as he wrapped his arms around Shiro's neck and pulled him down to kiss him.

After a couple of minutes Shiro broke their kiss and smiled for the third time that day. "I don't see why we can't do that."