Bonus Chapter (2) Not The Wedding You Were Expecting

Start from the beginning

"I know, but...neither of us really have a knack for opening up. It's getting easier, but I doubt either of us knows how to go about proposing. We'd want it to be perfect, and I'm no good at making perfect things happen." Guests begin to file in and find seats. It's a small affair, just enough people, only those who matter. I catch Simon's eye as he walks by with Mia, the girls he's been with for about 2 years now. He grins and I return his smile.

"Hmm, well, I hope you guys get on it soon. Clary and I beat you to it," Jace winks and I roll my eyes, bumping my shoulder against his.

It isn't long until Jace is standing at the altar and we're all waiting to walk out. Magnus comes dashing in just a few minutes before we're due to head out and I release a breath of relief.

"I was worried you were going to stand me up at someone else's' wedding," I joke, leaning down to press my lips to his. He melts into it, intertwining our fingers and sighing contently.

"I wouldn't dream of it, Alexander, darling. It wouldn't set a good example for our own wedding, now would it?" I crack a smile and caress his cheek, soaking up everything that he is. We talk about our wedding, our marriage, regularly, but neither of us has popped the question yet. I guess we're just too nervous, or something, at least, I am.

"No, it wouldn't," I reply before turning and linking my arm with his. We stand up front, ready to go out first. I'm the Best Man, and Magnus is a groomsman. Izzy stands behind us, the Maid of Honour, and Raphael, who has been dating her off and on for what feels like forever. Max will walk the flower girl down the aisle, which is a young girl named Madzie, the daughter of one of our employees. And then, Simon stands with Clary. Apparently, a falling out occurred with Clary's father after her mother died a couple of years ago. He wasn't even invited to the wedding.

The music begins and Magnus and I begin to walk. I wear a smile that is so genuine it feels unnatural. It's strange, to think that after so many years, everything is finally falling into place. My parents sit front row, smiling at me. It took about 2 years until my mother accepted me, and since, we've been growing closer. Magnus and I take our places, I, right next to Jace, and Magnus next to me.

I watch the procession happily until the music morphs into the wedding march. Simon escorts Clary down the aisle perfectly, barely a stumble, ( I say barely, because those two are the clumsiest people I've ever met, and they did stumble a bit), until the music slows to a stop and Clary is in front of Jace.

Their vows are endearing and sweet, and too quickly, everything is coming to an end.

I pull Magnus closer on the dance floor at the reception. The stars twinkle above us, other couples swirling around us, but it's just me and him.

"It was such a beautiful day, Magnus, you and Izzy planned everything flawlessly," I compliment, leaning in to kiss the side of his mouth. He smiles and pulls me impossibly closer, spinning us elegantly.

"It was a perfect wedding, now how are we ever going to top that?" Mags' jokes, earning a chuckle from between my smiling lips.

"I'm sure you'll find a way, you're pretty extravagant." He laughs and pulls me off of the dance floor.

We make our way through the gardens heading towards the hotel, just the two of us and the surrounding night. It's peaceful and quiet, the type of atmosphere I love. Magnus takes us the long way, stopping by some twinkle lights hung in the trees.

"Wow, you really decorated this place," I murmur breathlessly, taking it all in. The surrounding rose bushes are still in bloom, sending a beautiful floral scent into the warm air. I turn in a slow circle, looking around us at all of the beauty. But when I turn back around, Magnus is knelt down on the grass, a shiny black box balanced on his palm.

I find I can't breathe. Time slows to a standstill, even the sound of the ocean in the near distance fades away. But, it's perfect. I know Magnus would've preferred to propose to me in front of all of our loved ones, to make a spectacle of it, like Magnus does. He would've thrown one of those parties he loves, and halt the music to ask for my hand.

But he did this for me. He waited until dark until twilight had taken over the day. He waited until we were alone like he knows I'd want.

He did this for me like he's done everything since the day we first met. Inviting me to move in, to run his business with him. Inviting me to love him, like I have since I first laid eyes on him. He's devoted himself to me in every way, and I him, and now, forever.

"Alexander, I'm asking you now to marry me. I know you better than to make it out to be more than it is, as much as I'd like to. If I had it my way, I'd make a big deal out of it, I'd shout it from the rooftops of one of the many buildings we've designed together, I'd do something totally cliche because that's who I am. But in a way, I am having it my way. Because I'd do anything for you, and want to tell you that, right here, I will always put you first, before anything." I smile at him, openly, wearing my heart right on my sleeve, or putting it in his hands, where it's safest. Magnus smiles back, taking a second to breathe while I'm taking a second to admire him.

The moonlight lights up the sparkles in his hair- something I've grown not only used to but to adore- and his eyes soak up the rest of the light, warm, melted honey, full of love. He's absolutely dashing in his navy suit, so subtle for him, but his sparkling red cufflinks capture the vibrancy of him.

"It didn't need to be in front of hundreds of people, Alexander because the only person that has and will ever matter in my life is you. So, marry me?" It's simple and sweet, it's everything I could've ever asked for. I reach down, taking his free hand in mine and pulling him up to stand with me.

"Of course, Bane, of course, I'll marry you."

His smile is blinding and his kiss takes away my ability to breathe, but it's everything I ever needed. I lose myself in his lips, his arms, feeling the box containing my engagement ring press into my lower back. I pull away when I need to breathe and smile at him once more before he pulls the box back into view.

He opens it, revealing a simple silver band. It has an amber embedded into it, but it's nothing outrageous. It's simple and beautiful. I let him slide it home and admire the way it gleams in the bright moonlight.

"I love it," I murmur, kissing him softly. His lips curve into a smile against mine.

"I love you," I add softly.

"I love you, too, Alexander, forever."